Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Exact reasons why elimination diets do not work. Ever.
    Go back to eating everything you like in moderation and track.

Ever?
    No.

Ever. Yes.
    Notice I said "diet" and not a "lifestyle". People go keto, vegan, paleo etc. for all the wrong reasons 99% of the time.

I know you said diet. My restricted diet (no gluten, limited carbs) is sustainable. I eat a keto diet. I don't follow a specific keto lifestyle. The rest of my family eats low to high carb, all at the same table and with the same meal, which I made. What I eat is just my diet and does not really affect my lifestyle, except the GF which limits where I can eat.

A lifestyle (to me) is more of a social, financial and spiritual thing IMO, and not what foods or macros you choose. Perhaps your lifestyle is centred around food and your diet is a big factor of your lifestyle, mine isn't really.

I would assume that people like me, who have used to diet to improve health and manage their weight for years, are the 1% who chose it for the right reason?
  • onederbaby
    onederbaby Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Ever?
    No.

Ever. Yes.
    Notice I said "diet" and not a "lifestyle". People go keto, vegan, paleo etc. for all the wrong reasons 99% of the time.

I know you said diet. My restricted diet (no gluten, limited carbs) is sustainable. I eat a keto diet. I don't follow a specific keto lifestyle. The rest of my family eats low to high carb, all at the same table and with the same meal, which I made. What I eat is just my diet and does not really affect my lifestyle, except the GF which limits where I can eat.

A lifestyle (to me) is more of a social, financial and spiritual thing IMO, and not what foods or macros you choose. Perhaps your lifestyle is centred around food and your diet is a big factor of your lifestyle, mine isn't really.

I would assume that people like me, who have used to diet to improve health and manage their weight for years, are the 1% who chose it for the right reason?

I think after taking a step back and reading everyone's posts, I have gained some perspective. When I went back and realized that it had been 20 pounds in 2 months, I do feel like that is a bit fast and maybe my body is having trouble adjusting. Then I went back and evaluated what I was eating. Sure enough, I havent been eating enough. A protein shake for breakfast, sometimes lunch, or leftovers; then dinner, which I figured wasnt much over 400 calories. So my day consisted of 500-900 calories, depending on the day.

I have decided to stick to low carb, but adding back foods that are natural and not processed. I will expand my veggies and add fruits. Not sure I will add grains back. But, I think I have a good plan. I just hope it doesn't backfire and the weight comes back on.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,785 Member
    Options
    onederbaby wrote: »

Ever?
    No.

Ever. Yes.

I think after taking a step back and reading everyone's posts, I have gained some perspective. When I went back and realized that it had been 20 pounds in 2 months, I do feel like that is a bit fast and maybe my body is having trouble adjusting. Then I went back and evaluated what I was eating. Sure enough, I havent been eating enough. A protein shake for breakfast, sometimes lunch, or leftovers; then dinner, which I figured wasnt much over 400 calories. So my day consisted of 500-900 calories, depending on the day.

I have decided to stick to low carb, but adding back foods that are natural and not processed. I will expand my veggies and add fruits. Not sure I will add grains back. But, I think I have a good plan. I just hope it doesn't backfire and the weight comes back on.

Be aware that you may see a small scale jump right at first if you increase carbs (from a little more water retention that's involved in metabolizing them) and amount of food (from literally the physical weight of the food going through your digestive system). Neither of these are fat regain, so there's no reason to worry about them. The effect will be temporary, perhaps hiding ongoing fat loss from you on the scale, until things level out again. Then you'll see loss resume.

You won't regain fat rapidly doing what you suggest. In the very unlikely event that there would be regain, it would be very gradual, and you'd have time to adjust your calorie goal as needed. The weight isn't going to suddenly come back on.

Best wishes!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    onederbaby wrote: »

Ever?
    No.

Ever. Yes.

Hopefully adding on 500-1000 kcal will make you feel better.

I would look into adding in protein too. For a woman losing weight, most will want over 70g of protein to help them preserve lean tissue. IMO, getting closer to 100g is even better. That's roughly 300-400 calories right there. You may not be getting enough if you total calorie intake was only 500-900 kcal.

Check out the Low Carber Daily MFP group. There's a lot of long term low careers who can help, and many newer members for support.

Good luck finding that calorie and macro sweet spot.