Can anyone recommend a good food scale especially for liquids (ML)

Options
fb47
fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
My current food scale has different units settings (g, oz, ml)...The one issue I have is that whatever liquid I put in a cup, the scale at grams and at ml settings will always have the same number. So for example, if I pour 10g of olive oil, it will appear also as 10ml if I change it's setting to ml. Samething for ice cream, the portions are listed in ml, but when I put the ice cream in a bowl on the food scale, both the grams and ml are the same which I know shouldn't be. Anyone can recommend me a food scale that can accurately weigh the liquids in ml?

Replies

• DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    How many grams in 1 milliliter? The answer is 1.
    We assume you are converting between gram [water] and milliliter.
    Use this page to learn how to convert between grams and milliliters.

https://www.convertunits.com/from/grams/to/milliliters
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Scales are set to water, no matter what liquid you are weighing. That's why they say measuring cups/spoons for liquids.
  • fb47
    Options
    So basically 125g of ice cream is actually 125 ml? I always thought they would be different because of their texture.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    No, use measuring spoons/cups for liquids and scale for solids.

Different liquids have different densities, 10ml of water is not the same weight as 10ml of vegetable oil for example.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    That's because you can't weigh volume. The function is a useless gimmick. Most fluids (even including melted ice cream) are close to 1 gram per ml, so it's more that it's misleading, not so much that it's inaccurate for the purpose of logging food to lose weight. If you want to weigh fluids (I do), use nutritional values for 1 or 100 grams, not ml.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I weigh all my liquids. It hasn't seemed to make a difference.
  • fb47
    Options
    Good to know :)
  • msbridgetteanne
    msbridgetteanne Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    As many have already suggested, you should use spoons and cups to measure liquids. HOWEVER, I do occasionally use a scale for liquids I have confirmed show correctly on the scale I use, which is the Homecube Big Range Touch Screen Kitchen Food Scale. It will measure liquids, including milk, which has been accurate enough for me for the past two years. When I measure out 8oz of milk, it shows as 8oz on the scale.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Most liquids weigh close to water because they are made up mostly of water (oil being an exception of course). There is no point in weighing liquids.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Most of the liquids I buy (oils, egg whites) give the serving size in grams so I use that. If it’s only given in volume then I use measuring cups or spoons.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I hate items that have fluid only measurements. I prefer things with grams so I can measure everything on the scale. It is faster and there are less dirty dishes.

• DoubleUbea
    Options
    When I pour 8oz of Almond Milk, I use the oz setting on the scale.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    When I pour 8oz of Almond Milk, I use the oz setting on the scale.
    Weight is in ounces and volume is in fluid ounces. They are not the same thing.

Having said that, the density of almond milk is likely to be really close to the density of water and 1 fl oz of water weighs about 1 oz (and 1 ml of water weighs 1 g) so that might be close enough for your purposes.

Where you would run into problems is trying to weigh a fluid that didn't have a density close to water for which you didn't know the weight per serving or the fluid's density.
  • DoubleUbea
    Options
    I will have to pay better attention to that. Thanks.