Hello

Options
I’m a 42 yr old husband and father of 4. I peaked in weight at 217 8 years ago. I am now 164. I am trying to gain some muscle mass, but u struggle with a bad back and knees. Looking for workouts to protect both.

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    @brianowens1976 I moved this to the gaining wight and body building board. Maybe some of our other members who has similar struggles can help you out.
  • brianowens1976
    brianowens1976 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ok. Thx!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    So, welcome to MFP. I have a similar story (peaked at 251 and got down to 192.....dang I was a beast then!). Sitting at 205lbs now with some extra fluff as I did power lifting for some 18 months (so, lots of eating). PL is deadlifts, squats and bench.

I have a messed up right knee (yes, the GLORY DAYS: high school football injury). I stayed away from squats and dead lifts for the longest time (because of the knee) but started thinking that I likely should do squats to make it stronger. I found some videos from Jeff Calvalier at AthleanX and away I went.

Now, your bad back is a different story. Were it just bad knees I would suggest - generically speaking - that you consider lunges and squats. I found that doing reverse lunges really helped....and specifically reverse lunges because of the bad right knee). The bad back......might want to stay away from squats and dead lifts...

I have hurt myself far too many times in those 18 months (Power Lifting) so I am currently not doing squats or dead lifts (which KILLS ME because I absolutely love both....). We will see in six months.....I have previously said one year, but I am going to work the kinks out (so-to-speak) and see where I stand in six months.

Have you looked for a canned program to follow? Do you have any training history? If so, what? How active are you? What type of lifting - should you have experience there - do you enjoy?

And, the most important question, how much time per week do you have time for training?