Workout routine

How many times a week should you work each muscle set for growth/bulking?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Are you following a program? I would in general, at least twice a week for optimal results.

That being said I've worked my glutes up to 6x per week when bulking. With smart programming it can be done.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    @paliocajonathan8435 I moved this to the body building board, you will get better answers here.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    I will chime in....

A lot depends on your lifting experience. If you are a newbie then you would likely respond well to anything. What are your goals?

Assuming that you are a newbie, I would suggest that you find a plan and follow that plan as it is written. Typically, but not exclusively, canned programs will work you three to five times a week and will usually not have you lifting successive days (translation: not working the same muscle groups in successive days).

Now, to a more general answer.....

Working each muscle group two - three times a week is generally the most effective. Doing something in the range of 20+ working sets per muscle group per week is generally the most effective. Again, lifting experience will dictate some things [well trained folks will need a much longer time, for example, to increase their bench press by 10lbs (say, from 305lbs to 315lbs) than someone who is an intermediate lifter]. Keep in mind that the above is VERY GENERAL.....consider them guidelines for intermediate and well trained folks.

Also, whatever program you decide to follow, please keep in mind that you will need to eat (food is fuel....make that concept front and center and you will be okay) and that you will need to recover from your training sessions. Super important.

Have you had a change to look at the list provided by Tavistock Toad?

I followed Strong Lifts 5x5 for a few months. I really enjoyed it and made some good gains. But, that *fit* my goals.....may or may not for you.