Planet Fitness?

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I like the judgement free zone. My problem is the place it's self. Can't grunt, drop weights, bench press, ect. I also have a problem with the whole set up nutritionally. I know they are there to make $$, but free bagels and pizza? a juice bar? these companies know many people get ravenous after a workout, especially steady state cardio.

What's wrong with bagels and pizza? And lots of gyms have a juice bar. I've never understood this criticism of PF.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited July 2018
    emmylootwo wrote: »
    Do you like it? Is it really a judgement free zone? I'm thinking about joining, but am nervous. I've never been a part of a gym before. I've done as much research as I can on it, and it's certainly the cheapest option around my town even with the $40 annual fee. Thoughts?

Better than nothing if that's your other option. I don't agree with their judgement free zone, because they do judge if you happen to be a lifter that they don't want to cater,lol . But that's beside the point. I also find it weird that they put free pizza and bagels in a fitness center, but that's just me questionning their decisions. For someone who wants to lose weight, they will easily be tempted to ruin their diet.

For a guy like me, that gym is just as good as a gym at a hotel meaning it doesn't have the required weights or equipement for me to maximize building muscles. I think the dumbbells stop at 50 lbs or something. Not saying I couldn't make gains, but I would have to be creative in order to build as much muscles as I can at a gym that doesn't make you lift heavy.

In the end, if you have no other option or financially your strapped, planet fitness can come in handy, it is still a better option than not working out at all.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    For the most part, I believe that you get what you pay for. You don't want to pay a lot, don't expect much in terms of service or personal attention. If you happen to get it, great, but don't expect it to be part of the package.

As far as non-judgement... I love my club and I feel it's non-judgement. Clubs that have a full fitness staff, customer service staff, membership department, housekeeping and cleaning/operations are more likely to provide an environment that is welcoming and that feels tailored to you. This is just from my own observation, not offering a blanket statement here. Places like PF are cheap and they really don't care if you join, show up, stay or quit. You're just a number and there are thousands more who will join. A little more expensive club is going to work to keep you as a member because the influx of new members isn't nearly as high.

I pay about 800 a month (including 2 training sessions per week) and it's worth every cent for the atmosphere, the staff, the environment, amenities, equipment and caliber of training. It depends what more important to you.

Darn, seems high. If you don't mind me asking what area is this and what is membership vs personal training?

I'm in Chicago. Honestly, a lot of things are expensive out here, but not nearly as expensive as where I grew up in California, so to me, it wasn't a huge price shock. However, I fully recognize that in the world of gyms, that is an expensive cost. The actual membership is about 150/month. The rest of it is for training. I go to a "club," not just a gym so there are perks to that membership aside from just access to equipment. If I just wanted a treadmill and a couple free weights, I'd be somewhere that costs less.

$800 a month. That's not a typo? I could rent some place to actually live here for that.

I live in Chicago and you could rent a place for that price here too (granted not a large place though). $800 is a ton to pay.

I got to a local non-chain gym and pay $49 a month. It’s not super massive but has more than enough equipment including multiple squat racks. $150 for a gym membership must be at one of the fanciest gyms out here (equinox, FFC, etc.).

Kind of don’t like the tone that cbean08 set in that post. Kind of felt like condescension for affordable gyms in general. You’ve got to be very wealthy to afford $800/month in a gym membership and personal training. There are plenty of well-equipped gyms in Chicago that are only a fraction of the cost!

Hmm, def not my intention, so my apologies if it came off that way. The point I was trying to make is that you should pay for what you want and that a higher cost club is worth it if it one finds value in those extra services and amenities. As I said, I would not pay that if I wasn't looking for specific things that I was able to find at other gyms in the area. I know plenty of people who do go to other gyms like XSport and LA Fitness and they are happy because it offers what they want at a price that is reasonable for the equipment, facilities and atmosphere.

If PF has what you need to be successful and you are going to be happy going there, then do it. If you're looking for something with more equipment and you won't be happy there, then that membership is a waste of money. You could spend more somewhere else to get the things you want and then the price won't feel like a waste of money because you're spending it on something you like.

I hope that helps clear up what I was trying to say.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    PF doesn't happen to have an indoor track, does it?
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    You don't get this type of thing at an ordinary gym.
    http://abc7ny.com/3812807/
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    It's a cheap membership, but it really depends on the management at the site your interested in. It's a clever marketing campaign that reinforces a stereotype that fit people are jerks...which is pretty judgmental.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    DoubleUbea wrote: »

WhoooW! This would liven up my day...

I wonder what the 'older ladies on cycles checking ipads' mentioned by previous poster would think of this...

(maybe they wouldn't complain actually)
  • akp124
    akp124 Posts: 11 Member
    PokeyBug wrote: »
    As long as you're quiet when you lift. Make any noise, and they'll blast an alarm, bringing the attention of anyone on the premises on you. I forget what they call it, but the concept has always annoyed me. I know it's aimed at getting the super-irritating guys who make excessive noise to settle down, but, sheesh, anyone could accidentally drop their weights. No need to publicly humiliate them for an accident.

The one I go to has the alarm turned off. :smile:
  • Everyone has that annual fee. But planet fitness charges a cancellation fee as well. I'd go with a gym that offers more and has more variety of people for motivation. And if there's more classes you can switch it up when you get bored. I love to swim and sit in a sauna or steam room. But it's up to you.
  • dkjk1105
    dkjk1105 Posts: 107 Member
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    OMG, I've been to that PF!
  • alabamaheather
    alabamaheather Posts: 24 Member
    I love it. I have been a member for 2.5 years. I go in the morning so it is mostly moms, retirees and a few younger men too. Very nice staff. Very clean. They do have tootsie rolls at the front desk but I don’t eat them. No juice bar. They bring in free pizza one night a month and bagels and coffee one Tuesday morning a month. I don’t go at night so I have never seen the pizza. I have seen the bagels a few times but just walk by.

I say go for it.
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    I used to belong to one. It was fine. It was a new PF so all the cardio equipment was really nice and new but I think the whole chain in general focuses on having nice cardio equipment. Like any gym the atmosphere depends on the local crowd and management, definitely visit before joining. Mine had a lunk alarm but I never ever heard it go off, I think that feature is used at the discretion of the staff/manager and I imagine the people who don't care at all wayyyy outnumber any overzealous users.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,126 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    PokeyBug wrote: »
    As long as you're quiet when you lift. Make any noise, and they'll blast an alarm, bringing the attention of anyone on the premises on you. I forget what they call it, but the concept has always annoyed me. I know it's aimed at getting the super-irritating guys who make excessive noise to settle down, but, sheesh, anyone could accidentally drop their weights. No need to publicly humiliate them for an accident.

OMG I didn't know that! That's insane. How embarrassing. I just googled it and it's totally real. It's called the "Lunk Alarm". Sometimes it's hard not to make a noise.

I've been a member of my local Planet Fitness for a couple years now. I've NEVER heard the alarm. And sometimes I've heard people accidentally drop weights. The staff are so friendly and I love having the black card so I can bring my daughter (or son when he's visiting). I have been to a couple other sites when traveling, though, and was not as pleased with those facilities. Definitely go for a visit to your local one. My son was a member at his local one in upstate New York. He's in the military and got new orders. When he went to cancel his membership, the manager waived all the early termination fees. She didn't have to do that, but it was definitely appreciated. Long story short...I love my local PF :)
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    It seems counter-productive but the "free" food is one of those things that keep members coming. It is personal choice, you don't have to take the food.
    From what I read the reason for the pizza was because a water heater burst at a location, they had to close for a few days or restrict usage. (I don't remember the details) To say thank you to the members for the patience they threw a pizza party, the members loved it so it became a tradition. The bagels were probably added for the morning members.
    I use PF in the morning, I have never had a bagel, never had a slice of pizza or grabbed a Tootsie Roll on the way out. I have never heard the lunk alarm go off.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited August 2018
    The pizza and bagels seems kinda random but I have no issues with that. Don't eat them if you don't want. And there's nothing wrong with pizza and bagels even if you're trying to lose weight. From what I've heard it's just one day a month that they do that.

I am not a fan of Planet Fitness and their business strategy as they promote being a "judgement free" zone but really they just judge the people who are perceived as being judgy in other gyms. I googled and watched a couple of their ads, and they just make fun of muscular guys, like all guys that lift weights are "bros" and extremely stupid. (And also, I've been a member of several gyms over the years and they all seem pretty judgement free to me) It sounds like a good business strategy to target the majority of people who are not super fit and are a little intimidated by regular gyms, plus they offer a super inexpensive membership option. (Although with that comes limited equipment)

I say if you're ok with them not having barbells/power racks, then go for it. I'm usually always down for saving money and $10/month is pretty sweet.