Moving to 3 days a week

I’ve been doing my strength training workout 2 times a week for two months now. First with my trainer, and now on my own. I do cardio the other days. But this week, I felt it was time to bump myself to three times a week with the weights. My body is ready, I can feel it. And mentally, I’m mostly ready. I find myself almost excited about the days I’m supposed to do the weights instead of cardio.

Who is this gal? I mean, I’m a middle age mom of four who does IT work. I wasn’t exactly what anyone would ever call athletic. I’ve kind of avoided intentional exercise over the years. And me, lifting weights? And liking it?

Ok, I’ll be honest, I’m not a fan of squats or lunges, but I can do them now. And I like the little changes to my thighs and butt. I like feeling those muscles take some shape. It is so weird though to realize I’m not intimidated by the free weight section of the gym. Still using small weights (7.5 - 20lbs), but I’ve already been able to up those on some of the exercises without issue.

So wish me luck on this new step!

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    I really hated lifting at first, too. It felt so pointless, you pick weights up, you put them back down. I also work in IT, and started to realize that lifting was time away from the madness, me time, time to relax. That's when I started enjoying it.

Sounds like you're in the same boat, and it's paying dividends for you. Congratulations for the progress so far! Keep hitting it hard. :smile: