Running low on healthy options in my house,... any suggestions?

mistyrbell8248
mistyrbell8248 Posts: 6 Member
I've got lots of canned fruit, pears, and peaches, some canned salmon, some lettuce, a little cucumber, some cheese, and some wheat bread. All I can think of is a sandwich... also got some chicken and pork chops

Replies

• Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 978 Member
    If all you can think of is a sandwich, why not have a sandwich? I've started doing open sandwiches (basically only once slice of bread) and making sure I include plenty of salad in the sandwich.
  • georgieamber2
    georgieamber2 Posts: 229 Member
    salad with lettuce, cuc and salmon with maybe some vinegar or mustard dressing?? Then have the slice of bread on the side or toast it and slice up into crutons??
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    I've got lots of canned fruit, pears, and peaches, some canned salmon, some lettuce, a little cucumber, some cheese, and some wheat bread. All I can think of is a sandwich... also got some chicken and pork chops

Is that all the food you have in your house? No eggs, milk, flour, rice, pasta, etc? Spices? Condiments?
    Are you looking to make one meal or ideas to get through a whole week?

Have protein (chicken, pork chops, canned salmon, cheese) with fruit, lettuce or cucumber.
    You could try a sort of stuffed cucumber if you have enough.
    A sandwich is not unhealthy.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,866 Member
    In case you need to bring desset to a dinner party, make english summer pudding with the tinned fruit and white bread.
    https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/summerpudding_90295
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    When I have limited foods in the house, I go to myfridgefood.com and enter in what I have. It gives recipes based on what you enter.

that website if freakin awesome

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Do you have some eggs. Make salmon patties with your cubed bread, cubed cucumbers and dill. Make a lil salad with your lettuce, throw some of those fruits on the top.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    urloved33 wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    When I have limited foods in the house, I go to myfridgefood.com and enter in what I have. It gives recipes based on what you enter.

that website if freakin awesome

It's saved me a lot of money. I do a slight variation on meal planning. Rather than planing and buying for the plan, I buy what's on sale and then use that site to get some great recipes.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,267 Member
    canned salmon salad with cucumbers and cheese in a lettuce wrap
  • groone
    groone Posts: 2 Member
    Salmon is delicious with braised pears. Cut your pears in half, then with a spoon carve out the seed pod making a nice concave hole. Next, place them in a frying pan flat side down on some low fat and calorie hot melted butter. I use brummel and brown yogurt spread. Cook them until tender. Just before taking the pears off turn your stove up and give the pears a nice caramelized singe. Place on a plate flat side up.

With the salmon, if you have any plain or vanilla yogurt (sour cream can work too) take a dallop of the cream and mix with the salmon to make moist. Add a touch cheese if you want to because pear pairs fairly well with cheese. Now take a good spoon full of the salmon mixture and place in the little concave hole you made when taking out the seed pods. Let cool a bit. Buon appetito!