walking/mapping app

Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Oddly, the MapMy* app gives way more calories than the MFP database.

For example, MapMyHike gave me 294 calories for something MFP's "Walking, 3.0 mph, mod. pace, walking dog" gave me 117 calories. This was on flat terrain.

So I still use MapMyHike for fun, but get calories from the MFP database.
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    ya, it might be giving you more calorie burn because it's over estimating what you're actually walking, which makes it seem you're walking faster than you really are.

I downloaded Strava and tried that. While it's EXTREMELY accurate on mileage, and does map the walk, it doesn't save each workout separately, but added them together giving me a monthly total. Which does me no good at all. And I couldn't get it to pause. lol Still looking for that perfect app, just upset because MapMyWalk used to BE the perfect app. :'(
  • poisonesse
    Options
    I should mention, I hike with two dogs, so I can't just use my start and end times to figure out how long I've walked, or how far... I NEED something that pauses when I do, so I can get the time I'm actively walking, and not my total time in the forests. ;-)
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I have for years been a huge fan of MapMyFitness. 10/10 would recommend!
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »
    oocdc2 wrote: »
    I've been using Strava for a couple of years now, only because it has a more accurate calorie burned count than MapMyRun, if you want to try a new app. Otherwise, the advice of reinstalling and/or updating the app is sound.

@oocdc2 , do you have an Apple phone? I tried Strava and it's not working at all on my phone, my rides don't record at all, although it should be a better app. On the calorie subject concerning Map My Walk/ ride/run, i find it gives me double value for the burned calories. For an accurate estimate it needs to be slashed in half. Fitbit count supports that too. MapMyride is way too generous on calories.

@icemom011 I'm Android; maybe Apple and Strava don't play well together...?
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »
    I've been using Strava for a couple of years now, only because it has a more accurate calorie burned count than MapMyRun, if you want to try a new app. Otherwise, the advice of reinstalling and/or updating the app is sound.

@oocdc2 , do you have an Apple phone? I tried Strava and it's not working at all on my phone, my rides don't record at all, although it should be a better app. On the calorie subject concerning Map My Walk/ ride/run, i find it gives me double value for the burned calories. For an accurate estimate it needs to be slashed in half. Fitbit count supports that too. MapMyride is way too generous on calories.

@icemom011 I'm Android; maybe Apple and Strava don't play well together...?

I'm an Android too
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Workoutdoors.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Oddly, the MapMy* app gives way more calories than the MFP database.
    I am wondering if the MapMy uses the GPS to better calculate your speed as well as other variables. The MFP database is generic estimated result.

• poisonesse
    Options
    Yes, it does use the GPS to both calculate your speed, mileage and calories burned. But since it's inaccurate right now on mileage (which I can figure out HOW it can add miles when it's using the GPS!), everything else is off as well. It USED to be the best thing since sliced bread! Now I'm using Bartal, which is accurate in everything, it just doesn't map. So I'm stuck staying on trails, no more heading out into the great unknown. :'(
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I just did an experiment with MapMyFitness. I did a run of a known distance using the app, and it gave me the correct miles. I stopped twice and it auto paused and started appropriately. Then I walked the same route, 3.5 - 4.0 mph, which should have been plenty fast enough for the app to detect consistent movement. The app constantly paused and started throughout the entire walk, which was supremely annoying, and gave me a shorter distance for the same route.

It would be completely useless to me for walking or hiking, even though I don't have any problem while running. I imagine there's something wrong with the algorithm for detecting movement below a certain speed threshold.

I don't use the calories it tells me I burned, it tends to give me too many - I wear a fitbit and it knows whether I'm running or walking and gives more appropriate calories.

eta: I haven't tried using MapMyHike or MapMyWalk, I think I'll see if there's any difference. MapMyFitness is supposed to be all the Map apps collected in one place, but it's possible there are algorithm errors in one place that aren't in the other.
  • poisonesse
    Options
    I did download and use MapMyFitness, yesterday and today... and if you set it for "Hike, general" you get pretty accurate mileage and times. BUT... I know the MapMy products now, so if we stop, I count to 10 to get the app to stop, then it will restart at the count of ten once we start moving again. It's pretty accurate, but I haven't worked out HOW exact it is, my hiking partner developed an abscess on her leg, so we're taking different routes, away from water (which she goes into to cool off). But so far, it seems to be working the best out of the MapMy line.

And an update on Bartal, it only tracks by TIME! I experimented with it, doing a little HIIT. Walked the first mile and put in a 17.5 MPH mile. Second mile, I walked and then fast walked for 2 minutes, rinse and repeat for the entire second mile. Time came in at 15.8 MPH... and it told me I had burned LESS calories than on the first mile. For the third mile, I jogged 1/4 mile, walked 1/4 mile, rinse and repeat for the third mile. Bartal cut my calorie burn in half of what it gave me for the first mile. So it tracks your speed, tracks your time (it's the most accurate of the bunch so far on time) BUT it doesn't give credit for faster movement... running burns less calories than walking because you get there faster! ROFL Add that to the fact that it won't run in the background... answer a text or a phone message, or try to take a pic, and the app stops without saving your workout, and you have to manually restart. SMH

The perfect app is out there, I just know it! lol
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Have you tried deleting MapMyWalk from your phone? I'd recommend deleting the app, restart the phone, then download the app again. I had to do this with MapMyFitness a couple of months ago as it started behaving exactly like your issue. By deleting the app, restarting the phone, reinstalling the app seemed to fix my problem.

Me too!
    As my IT manager always says, "try turning it totally rebooting first"
  • AyameShimitsu
    AyameShimitsu Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If you’re willing to spend money, I recommend Zombies, Run! App. It’s fun and gives you a storyline where you are the main character. There are five or six seasons now and it keeps track of your stats as well as play your music in between the story parts. It’s the only app I use for running or walking. As I hate it, this app gives me a reason to go out and do it. Not sure how much the app is now, but I know there’s a low price one and your able to unlock missions for free every week in stead of spending more money and unlocking them all at once. They also have interval training, 5k and 10k races and virtual races.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    MMR was accurately measuring my calorie burns but also adding an extra 200km to every run. And then calculating my speed based on the time spent running. So for instance 213km in an (accurate) 60 mins. Giving me a speed of say 22 secs per km... ✈️
  • sdanemrtn
    sdanemrtn Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have switched from Map My Walk to Runtastic. I love it and it hasn't crashed on me since the switch.
  • poisonesse
    Options
    YES GrumpyHead, that's exactly what MMW does! Zombies, Run! sounds fun, but I need something that maps where I've been, so I can use it to find my way out when I go into the wetlands and off trail. (With two dogs, that's rather often. lol They're on leash, but they lead the way.) Runtastic? Hmm, I'll have to check that one out, hoping it maps? I don't need a preset map, I need it to map where I've been. ;) OH, and yes, I tried uninstall/reinstall, that's an auto fail safe with Android! :D
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    poisonesse wrote: »
    YES GrumpyHead, that's exactly what MMW does! Zombies, Run! sounds fun, but I need something that maps where I've been, so I can use it to find my way out when I go into the wetlands and off trail. (With two dogs, that's rather often. lol They're on leash, but they lead the way.) Runtastic? Hmm, I'll have to check that one out, hoping it maps? I don't need a preset map, I need it to map where I've been. ;) OH, and yes, I tried uninstall/reinstall, that's an auto fail safe with Android! :D

I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling (I guess that’s the mobile equivalent of switching it off and back on again). Seem to fix the problem - my last run was a nice accurate 5km parkrun.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Update with experiments with MMW. I found that if I hold the phone in my hand or carry it in an armband it tracks accurately and pauses appropriately. If I carry it in my back pocket it pauses randomly and doesn't track accurately. No idea why - and I checked it against the MapMyFitness app and it does the same. No idea why, but I use it for my walks again, just carrying it.
  • poisonesse
    Options
    I do carry mine quite often, and it still stops and starts at random, often stopping/starting 10 or more times in one minute. I'm still looking for that perfect app, MMF does work better than MMW... so far. But it does the same stopping and starting, it's just accurate for total mileage.
  • colorfulcoquette
    colorfulcoquette Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    Update with experiments with MMW. I found that if I hold the phone in my hand or carry it in an armband it tracks accurately and pauses appropriately. If I carry it in my back pocket it pauses randomly and doesn't track accurately. No idea why - and I checked it against the MapMyFitness app and it does the same. No idea why, but I use it for my walks again, just carrying it.

Just curious - which way is the phone facing when you carry it in your back pocket? I've seen times where if I have the screen facing toward me in a side pocket on my workout leggings there can be some touch screen sensitivity. Maybe be what's going on with your particular issue, and if so, simply having your phone face away from you in your back pocket could be a solution.