Weight Gain->Constantly tired?

So I've been eating 3,500 calories per day as well as working out 3x per week, lifting heavy. I don't mind being wore out/ sorebut I just feel so sleepy during the day. Really heavy eyes, etc. Do I need to sleep even more than 7+ hours? Is the extra food just causing me to be sleepy? I've always heard fruits can wake you up naturally, but even that doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Fruit wakes you UP. That's a new one. Beast mode at the gym can make you sleepy. Did you recently increase your food intake and maybe you need more than 7 hours of sleep.
  • Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    Have read people say that too many carbs can make them sleepy. I don’t notice it myself but maybe you could cut carbs back a bit and up protein and fat. Much easier to get the calories in with higher fats as they are 9 calories per gram compared to 4 calories per gram for protein and carbs. How many grams of carbs do you take per day?
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    The fruit wakes you up comment is most likely referencing an insulin spike which can wake you up ... or make you sleepy actually, really depends.

Aim for more sleep if you're sleepy, assuming your newer to lifting and what you do for a living you might require more recovery. Try 9 hrs of sleep and see how it feels brother.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    I always feel more lethargic and "groggy" when I'm bulking. I think it has more to do with the constant stuffing of the face - as I usually want to take a long luxurious nap after a large meal, regardless of my bulking/cutting state. It's just that those "large" meals are a lot more frequent during a bulk for me. However, as bloated and lazy as I might feel with all that food constantly in my belly, I can tell you that I feel a heck of a lot better lifting in the gym on a bulk compared to a cut. Night and day difference. ;)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited July 2018
    7 hours of sleep is just a tad under what is conserved sufficient(7.5).

What changes have you altered in your training in the past 2-4 weeks? Average intensity or tonage taking jumps?

Having you monitored your fatigue short and long term?