Working out when sick

Options
alexmose
alexmose Posts: 792 Member
Obviously, I am not going to with this sinus infection, but I’m curious as to how many of you actually workout when you feel like garbage? And what could you possibly do besides walking and maybe, MAYBE, light weights?

Replies

• Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Depends on what it is and my energy levels. My current exercise routine is crossfit 3-4x /week and running 3x/week. The last time I got sick back in June (just a common cold) I still did my usual crossfit, but cut out the running. Just take some extra pre-workout before you go!

Now, I have not had a sinus infection so I do not know the effects of that. I would still want to try to stick to a decent routine though. I found it hard to find the motivation to add the running back in (I still don't run the distance that I had been doing).

Obviously, everyone is different. You just have to do what you feel comfortable doing.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Training as far as lifting doesn't need to be light, just autoegulated at a useful intensity.

I don't believe I ever missed training because of feeling like garbage in the last four years. Personally if I missed training, my body wouldn't respond well as its more beneficial for me to train than not.

Some things you can do is shorten you training but add a day. Change the time of day you train to when you feel more energetic.

Way out the pro and cons and decide what is best for your situation would be my advice.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    alexmose wrote: »
    Obviously, I am not going to with this sinus infection, but I’m curious as to how many of you actually workout when you feel like garbage? And what could you possibly do besides walking and maybe, MAYBE, light weights?

Walking maybe, but other than that, nope!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I get pretty bad allergies, which are pretty similar to working out with a slight cold, at times. I try to keep going at it, nonetheless. Given my experience, I'd certainly work out with a slight cold, but I would not do an endurance workout, like a multi-hour bike ride particularly in the heat, which is known to suppress your immune system. Just keep it reasonable until you feel better and trust your body to tell you when to slow down.

In the pool last night, for example, I was getting a little dizziness as I did each flip turn, presumably because of sinus pressure. It didn't matter much, and I just kept going. When I run, I sometimes start a bit drippy/sneezy, but it seems to go away as I warm up and doesn't seem to rebound or anything. Also, when I go running or cycling, I sometimes get a bit of asthma, which I have tried treating with albuterol with mixed results.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Why would I want to work out when I feel like garbage? Rest and plenty of fluids is the usual advise. Feeling a little under the weather, maybe. Depends on how I'm feeling. Sore form a previous workout, absolutely, go loosen up and work it out. Feeling like garbage? Rest and plenty of fluids.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Depends on the illness and workout.

If you are contagious (flu or cold), please don't go to the gym. That's just common courtesy to not get other sick.

If a stomach bug, I avoid any workout as being more than 20 feet from a toilet is generally a bad idea.

If just feeling off, I'll still go for a walk or run depending how I feel.

Being sick is a general pass for calories/macros/exercise tracking - get better, recover and then continue.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Feel better OP. Sinus infections suck.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    When I feel like garbage that isn't say, seasonal allergy related, I don't work out. It's that simple. Once in a blue moon I might swim when I'm sick but not contagious (and when it isn't a GI issue), but otherwise I lay low and rest. Resting will make allow me to recover far faster than working out will.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I've heard many times that if you have chest congestion or a fever, you should not exert yourself at all, and anything else is up to you. I personally feel like exhaustion is your body asking for rest, so that's what I usually do. If my head is stuffy, I'll work out if taking something opens up my nose. I actually find working out can help with a headache or bloating.

I am not a doctor or a PT, so feel free to take that with a grain of salt :drinker:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Why would I want to prolong my illness by stressing my body further when I'm sick?

This seems like basic common sense to me. What did your mom have you do when you were sick? Rest and lots of fluids right? Common sense.
  • Strongfitmama100412
    Strongfitmama100412 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If i have a cold yes I still workout. If i have a migraine yes I still workout and many times it feels better after. If its the time of the month yes i still workout. Again most of the time i feel better after.

If my body is exhausted and i can feel it most of the time I just do the workout anyway. But other times i just rest and usually i needed a day rest and the next day i have an awesome workout

If i have the flu or fever no i skip the workout and let my body rest and fight whatever it is.

Knock on wood im pretty healthy. I swear its eating all good food. Food is medicine!!!
  • cammiecane
    cammiecane Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I still work out when sick. Just keep it light. This Monday I felt nauseous all day and I still took a walk, did some light stretching and some light calisthenics.

If I was seriously ill, I.e. high fever, severe pain, active vomiting, etc then no, I wouldn’t work out. In fact, I’d prob spend all day in bed ringing a little bell. 😋
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Training as far as lifting doesn't need to be light, just autoregulated at a useful intensity.

I don't believe I ever missed training because of feeling like garbage in the last four years. Personally if I missed training, my body wouldn't respond well as its more beneficial for me to train than not.

Some things you can do is shorten you training but add a day. Change the time of day you train to when you feel more energetic.

Way out the pro and cons and decide what is best for your situation would be my advice.

Autoregulation! Now I know there's an official name for what I do, lol.
    "The amount of sets and thereby the training volume is hereby autoregulated by the person’s work capacity" https://bayesianbodybuilding.com/autoregulation-reactive-deloading-avt/
    Love it!~

To respond to OP, it depends on how I feel. If I'm really sick I don't work out, but if I'm a bit sluggish I do what I can. I find in the long run the consistency helps me. But if I have to miss, I don't stress out.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    I went for a short run early in the year in the middle of a sinus infection. Felt like absolute, awful garbage. Was light-headed for part of the run. 0/10 - would not recommend.

However, I do find that sometimes exercise can, at least temporarily, help with the icky feeling of head congestion as it kinda feels like it loosens things up a bit.

If I just have a non-severe cold I still work out (no, not at the gym, since I don't want to spread germs) but an easy run, walk, stationary bike at home. If it's something serious or chest-related then I will abstain.