Work Vent

Options
The owners are on site. This means everything is disrupted, nothing is on schedule, and very little is getting done. Nice people, well meaning, but every time they are here, the whole day is pretty much shot. Can't get anything accomplished with all this interference. Luckily it is infrequent. Usually it is just one day here and there, but it has been every day this week! Nothing is wrong, they just don't need to be anywhere else.

I need structure and being able to stick to a schedule, so I am so stressed by now, I could eat everything in the state I live in. A voracious appetite is how my brain wants to deal with stress, and I can't do any of the positive coping methods I have learned in the past few months.

Aaaargh!

Replies

• lsutigerscage
    lsutigerscage Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Can you do some stretching exercises at your desk? It sounds like you have extra time (even if it's not what you want). You can kill some time while also using the stretching to help you de-stress.
  • HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Update: Yesterday, I was going to come back to write that sometimes it felt like I worked for several Michael Scotts at Dunder Mifflin, but instead...

Luckily, this has been going on all week, so Wednesday I had been remembering some words of wisdom. First, to paraphrase Dr. Nowzaradan and Roseanne Roseannadanna, "There is always going to be something. I need to learn non-self destructive ways of coping.
    So after my rant, I tried to think of a more positive way of coping than eating. I remembered some advice I got when I posted about being sick and not being able to return to my fitness routine right away.

Maybe the best I could do, was the best I could do.

I thought about what was the least I could get done today without jeopardizing my project. And I lowered my expectations to that. If I could complete that, I would count it as a win.

So, once the adrenaline and panic level* started to recede, I got it in gear, working on what I could do when I was "allowed" to get it done. Long story short, not only did I complete my new lower goal, but I exceeded my original goal. And all this after another mini-crisis occurred.
    I felt pretty sheepish about my earlier rant, but then was glad I posted, because I hope it will make me remember this, the next time my plans go south.

ETA: *I had to smile inside remembering something my mom would say, "When you're up to your @33 in alligators, it's hard to remember your initial intent was to clean the pit."