Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

High-Dairy Diets?

Options
cammiecane
cammiecane Posts: 62 Member
Hello All!

So I’ve noticed the general sentiment seems to be CICO = weight loss and the type of food doesn’t matter. No one food is going to increase weight loss or help you lose fat from a specific area.

When I first told my Dr. that I was wanting to lose weight, he insisted that I should make sure to keep a high-dairy diet as it would help me lose more weight and fat. He gave me the link to two medical journal studies that seem to back this up.

These articles basically claim that eating a high dairy diet will allow you to preserve or even gain muscle mass, lose more total weight, lose more total fat and lose more fat from your “trunk” (which I assume to mostly mean abdomen) as well as visceral abdominal fat.

Personally speaking, I haven’t tried this as I feel it will take up too many of my calories, but I am curious to see what others will make of these studies. I’ve linked them below. They almost sound too good to be true (literally) to me.

https://academic.oup.com/jn/article/141/9/1626/4630649

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1038/oby.2004.67

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to read the articles, I'll just share my personal experience.

I get a good amount of nutrition from dairy. I have about 6 ounces of milk daily. Usually 0.5 to one ounce of cheese daily. I also have 100-200g of yogurt (about half of that Greek.) I love dairy.

I lost all my weight eating that way, seventy pounds plus. I've eaten that way since. I've kept the weight off. More importantly, I like dairy and will continue to use it. If you can meet your protein, fat, potassium, calcium and probiotic needs some other way, I don't see how dairy is a magical food. But hey, it doesn't bother me one bit if it is!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Just a brief read through and bookmarked for later digestion.
    Interesting studies I am curious what those who are better/broader read than me on these studies have to say.

As an aside, I have never been obese but my 30lbs loss was done on a 40 carb, 30 fat and 30 protein split with approx 60g of my protein (80-100g) coming from dairy. Not planned, just how I eat. Lots of yogurt and cottage cheese with whey thrown in when needed.
    I maintain on the same split.

I didn't lift weights until maintenance, but did most of my exercises in a cardio/conditioning format. (Pilates, aqua fit, swimming, bodyweight routines etc, as opposed to straight cardio)

Cheers, h.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Once i only skimmed the articles but it's fairly well know that if you have two isocaloric diets but protein isn't controlled, the one with higher protein will always drive higher weight loss. There are just so many benefits of higher protein, including increased energy output, maintenance of metabolic functions, etc..
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I love dairy and I have it daily. It helps me get my protein.

As an aside to the rabbit trail:

https://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/DSH/hca.html
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of the Weight Loss Tips From 1951 thread. Everything old is new again, eventually!
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10681668/weight-loss-tips-from-1951/p1
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I'm also not clicking the link. I do what I think is best; I eat dairy. Yogurt and cheese, mostly.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I get a good portion of my calories from dairy and love it. I have no ill effecrs and I feel great consuming it.
  • gia_incognito
    gia_incognito Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Seems interesting that the study is sponsored by the dairy association.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    I eat a (very) high dairy diet. My weight loss is completely consistent with the anticipated 1 lb per 3500 cal deficit.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of my protein from dairy. I consider it an important part of a budget high protein diet.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Talk about using a cherry picked data supported by the dairy industry. Dairy is great, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't take the study seriously. I doubt the dairy industry would show arguments against their own industry which is why I say not to take those studies too seriously.