Should I work my abs?

Options
So I have the body type where I have always had a flat stomach no matter how much weight I gain. I have natural abs...I'm just born with them I guess. Should I still work them out when I go to the gym? They already look toned enough but since I work everything else out I don't want it to be out of balance. I don;t really want a ripped six pack...

Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    if you're happy with where you are, don't like where doing more work might take you, then I think you kind of answered your own question. Just keep doing whatever it is you're doing if you're happy where you are.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    When you say you work everything else... what do you mean?

Generally, if you are doing things with free weights (like squats especially) that engage your "core," you shouldn't need to do any direct ab work, and I would venture to say that direct ab work is a complete waste of time.

The only way you are going to have a ripped six pack is if your body fat percentage is getting pretty low.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Do you want to improve your core strength?

Strengthening your core =/= a 6 pack.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Always, a strong core is a great thing to have.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    honestly, we're a "pics or it didn't happen" community. if you're gonna brag, then you gotta show what you've got.
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    honestly, we're a "pics or it didn't happen" community. if you're gonna brag, then you gotta show what you've got.

True like gravity.
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Can we see what you mean!:indifferent:
    strong core=good back
    your young now but think of the future
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I find abs the most tedious of all my body parts to exercise. Really need to hit them more often.
  • GnosisGnosis
    Options
    Do you want to improve your core strength?

Working out your abs =/= a strong core.

If you want a strong core work on advanced bodyweight techniques or improve your squat.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Working out your abs =/= a strong core.

If you want a strong core work on advanced bodyweight techniques or improve your squat.

^^This.

You may have "natural abs", but doing a ton of core work isn't going to make them "ripped". That would be spot reducing.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of working ones core just because I think its extememly impressive to do cool things like flags & other intense movements.
  • CycleGuy9000
    Options

Yeah pics or GTFO!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

This is the truest thing I ever read on MFP. :flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    So I have the body type where I have always had a flat stomach no matter how much weight I gain. I have natural abs...I'm just born with them I guess. Should I still work them out when I go to the gym? They already look toned enough but since I work everything else out I don't want it to be out of balance. I don;t really want a ripped six pack...
    Any muscle that's not worked isn't "conditioned". People who regularly walk everyday, climb stairs etc., get major DOMS from squats, leg press, etc. if they haven't performed them on a regular basis.
    A "ripped" six pack comes from low body fat, not from working out your abs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • CycleGuy9000
    Options
    Any muscle that's not worked isn't "conditioned". People who regularly walk everyday, climb stairs etc., get major DOMS from squats, leg press, etc. if they haven't performed them on a regular basis.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

You might be all of those things but you have to do some work to have a "ripped" six pack, yeah lots of skinny people's abs are showing and they might not work them out much but c'mon to have "ripped" abs you have to work them out.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    If you have a flat stomach it actually means you don't have large abs. Everyone obviously has the muscles but if they are flat and not protruding then they are not very large, and that is fine if that is your goal.

They will not be visible until a very low BF%. I would include core strength work as it is vital for other exercises and good to keep balanced. Also, can prevent lower back injuries. If you suddenly start to see some visible abs then all you have to do is eat more :smile:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

You might be all of those things but you have to do some work to have a "ripped" six pack, yeah lots of skinny people's abs are showing and they might not work them out much but c'mon to have "ripped" abs you have to work them out.

Actually, no...no you don't.

Very few with "ripped" abs do an actual isolation ab routine.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    yes, you should definitely work your abs. When you lift, tuck your butt and tuck your gut, bam your abs are worked.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I'd say yes to improve the strength of your abs and core.

8488541.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Actually no. EVERYONE has abs. To what muscular/conditioned extent is different. Lowering body fat reveals ANY muscle definition, so if attaining a 6 pack is the desire, one doesn't HAVE to work out abs directly. Most people who do compound lifts regularly, get a decent ab workout.

IDEA Fitness member