Postnatal - Ladies advice please

Hi all,

I had my baby girl 3 weeks ago with assisted delivery with episiotomy and forceps. I'm healing really well and have been out on long walks the past couple of weeks and am feeling great.

I really want to get back to training and lifting. I can't get to the gym for a few weeks yet as I'm breastfeeding and don't feel ready to leave my girl or express yet.

I have weights and resistance bands at home. Did any of you start lifting this soon after birth or did you leave it longer? I don't want to set my recovery back further but am thinking a couple of light days at home to ease myself back into it won't hurt. What do you think?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited July 2018
    I would say this would definitely be a question for your doctor or OB. You absolutely do not want to risk doing anything while you are still healing/recovering, especially since your delivery was more involved. They will typically see you after 6 weeks or so, and give you the OK after that (provided everything is ok).

I know you want to get back to it but this is something I definitely would not rush, you will get back to it very soon.

Congratulations and good luck!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Ask your doctor/midwife.

6 weeks is the usual.
  • kstarallen
    kstarallen Posts: 116 Member
    I really would not without consulting your doctor first.
  • EmmaCaz4
    EmmaCaz4 Posts: 113 Member
    Thanks ladies. I've realised I'm trying to rush things.

Going to stick to walking and some really light stretches and pelvic floor exercises until I see the doc. :)
  • alyangel123
    alyangel123 Posts: 41 Member
    I started back at 5 weeks with body weight. But noticed a drop in milk production on what I thought was maintenance calories. Stuffed my face until I felt full and bam, more than enough milk. So I would start with exercise when cleared and eating what ever you need to. At 6 weeks babys get fussier, and sleep deprivation will make this idea less appealing though haha
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    Exactly what domestickat wrote.
    No need to rush it at this point. You’ll be back at it before you know it :)