Overnight Oats- Hot or Cold?

Options
lporter229
lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
I have attempted to make overnight oats three times now, using 3 different types of oats (rolled, steel cut and quick) and I have not been happy with the results on any of them. I have been under the impression that they are to be eaten cold, but maybe that is my mistake. Do you eat your overnight oats hot or cold? How do you make them for best results? Mine have been either too chewy or too grainy.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats are eaten cold AFAIK.
    I've generally made mine with oats, liquid (milk, or yoghurt and water), flavouring (spices, vanilla, cacao etc), sweetener/sweetened protein powder.... Sometimes chia.
  • tulsalo
    tulsalo Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    They are meant to be eaten cold. But I'm a rule breaker so I make mine following a recipe and then warm it up for a minute or minute and a half in the microwave before eating it. This helps solve the texture issue plus I just like them warm. This way you get the benefits of old fashioned rolled oats (whole grain, I think?) without all the extra work to cook them.
  • atthebeach08
    atthebeach08 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Can either of you give out the recipe that you like to make this ? Mine doesn't come out right either...
  • kcs76
    kcs76 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I have attempted to make overnight oats three times now, using 3 different types of oats (rolled, steel cut and quick) and I have not been happy with the results on any of them. I have been under the impression that they are to be eaten cold, but maybe that is my mistake. Do you eat your overnight oats hot or cold? How do you make them for best results? Mine have been either too chewy or too grainy.

I thought that too and thought they were disgusting until a friend suggested warming them up. It made all the difference, imo. For reference, I only use steel cut oats. I find the texture of rolled too squishy even when prepared traditionally.

• refugeefromkekistan
    refugeefromkekistan Posts: 48 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I have been eating overnight oats for a couple years now nearly every day, it's become a favorite. You definitely need to warm them up. I cycle between a few different brands, currently I'm using Bob's Red Mill, but always steel cut, rolled just doesn't taste right or feel satisfying to me. One quarter cup is 36g on the label, I double it, I put 72g in container and add water to about an inch or so above the oats. I warm it up for about 2m:30s in the microwave, then let it sit for a couple minutes on the counter. Of course your microwave will likely be different, just look for them to go from the raw oats to kind of clumping/softening.

My usual bowl will be adding a scoop of protein powder, trail mix, almond butter, almonds, few chocolate chips or a piece of dark chocolate, milk or greek yogurt if it's getting too thick/dry. If it's post-workout and I'm really hungry I multiply the above and add in some chopped fruit usually. I am definitely addicted to it! :blush:
  • tulsalo
    tulsalo Posts: 20 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    The recipe I use is 1/2 cup milk, 1/3 cup old fashioned rolled oats, 1 tsp chia seeds, 1 tsp vanilla, 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon. Put in Mason jar and shake to mix then leave in fridge overnight or at least 8 hours. Sometimes I put a tsp of honey or syrup or a tbsp of peanut butter or almond butter and mix it in before warming. Again warming them to me makes all the difference with taste and texture. Also goes well with fruit mixed in before or after warming.
  • Sandie020
    Sandie020 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I make these often with oats, spoonful of fromage frais, yogurt and frozen fruit leave in fridge overnight and mixe well in the morning. I find the frozen fruit moistens the oats and I think they are yummy but everyones tastes are different :-)
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Cold. If you want to treat yourself because they are pricey, try maker's oats or you can make your own variation on a theme. I don't use rolled oats either. I like bare oats organic. They come in portable indv. servings, reasonably priced. The sky is not the limit and it never was. You can add absolutely everything. Dried fruit, nuts, protein powder, yogurt, fresh fruit, dried bananas, dried peanut butter, some use a tad of instant coffee and you can add some homemade granola to give it a crunch. They are great.

Shake it all up in a jar and you're good to go. I don't even wait for the overnight thing, I do it fresh in the morning. I find I get more grain bang for my bucks. I like the fiber content and it's the cereal that keeps on working, working, working every day.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point of making them overnight if you're just going to heat them. I make overnight oats when it's hot enough that I don't want a hot breakfast, just something cool and refreshing. But I use rolled oats.
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I use rolled oats with a splash of milk but main wet ingredient is Strawberry Skyr or Greek Yoghurt (sometimes add strawberry protein powder for the macros)...frozen or fresh berries on top and it's delicious. I don't like the texture when it's just milk or water as the wet ingredient - kind of slimy.
  • klorben
    klorben Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Old fashioned rolled oats is key. Quick oats makes it too squishy.

Here’s my recipe:
    1/2c pats
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    A few dashes of cinnamon
    1/2 c unsweetened almond milk
    1tbsp Teddie peanut butter

Put in mason jar (in that order), shake, and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, I’ll slice a banana on top of it. I also eat it cold and prefer it that way.
  • AndyWR72
    AndyWR72 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I made some today using single serve packet oats (Oat so simple) I added the recommended amount of skimmed milk and chilled overnight. In the morning I added fresh mango and strawberry, It was great, the oats were really creamy, it was like having a bowl of Strawberries and Cream.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    When i first started making they I used steel cut oats and tried eating them cold. HORRIBLE!!!! I didn’t make them again for a long time. A friend told me to try using regular oats and to microwave it in the morning. Made all the difference! Now I eat them a couple of times per week, and love the variety you can experiment with
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I just started with the Quaker brand and LOVE them. I want to make them on my own because while I got a good deal on these, they are expensive. I thought I would hate them cold, but actually I love it. I can't wait to make my own.
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    You should try them with yogurt, it's the only way I like them.
    I used to make them half oats and milk, hated it.
    Now I make them 1/3 cup each of greek yogurt, oats and milk. The texture is similar to regular cooked oats and I love it. I use large flake oats, which I like the best.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

Try upping the liquid to make sure they're properly hydrated. Barring that, try adding some yogurt to increase the richness of the cereal.

That said, they're not for everybody. I feel the same way that you do about them. I prefer my oatmeal more like a traditional porridge. If I want something chewier, I'll go with steel cut instead of rolled.

Basically, it took me a while to realize that overnight oats are exactly what you think overnight oats would be. There is no radical amazing transformation in texture or anything. They're not horrible - I just don't prefer them to cooked.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I use kefir with overnight oats. The kefir, and yogurt also, have beneficial bacteria cultures. Overnight, the bacteria from the kefir works on the oatmeal, converting it into a pleasant taste and texture, at least for me. I add whey isolate chocolate powder, blueberries, and chopped pecans to my oats as well, and everything fits in a 1-cup mason jar. I put a lid on it and let it sit out at room temperature overnight to achieve this effect.
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have to warm them a little. Chilled thick chunky oatmeal is vile. The texture makes me gag. Warmed with a little fresh milk or whatever liquid used makes them a little smoother and not so thick.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Yea I wasn't a fan of overnight oats either. The texture wasn't quite right. And I always warmed it up in the microwave. I'm not eating cold oatmeal. I always just did old fashioned with milk and brown sugar. I tried adding yogurt to it once and it was disgusting.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I always heat mine up. Just did not care for them cold because soggy oats are different than COOKED
    oats.