Doctors calorie recommendations

So I went to a doctor yesterday. I'm not sure if I should follow her recommendations of not. I have PCOS and insulin resistance.

She recommended:

1400 calories
140g carbs
80 g protein
No more than 30g sugar

And working out at least 40 minutes, 4-5x a week

I am so NOT on that level as of yet.

Ideas?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

Ideas?

What does that mean?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    So I went to a doctor yesterday. I'm not sure if I should follow her recommendations of not. I have PCOS and insulin resistance.

She recommended:

1400 calories
    140g carbs
    80 g protein
    No more than 30g sugar

And working out at least 40 minutes, 4-5x a week

Ideas?

Seems like a good starting point

In regards to the exercise, nobody goes from zero to 4-5x per week overnight...you just build up to it. Just start with going for a walk most days and build up from there...get your body used to moving and go from there.
  • ChubbyRose84
    ChubbyRose84 Posts: 48 Member
    Part of me is afraid of committing to 1400 calories because I don't think I can stick to it.

Right now I've been trying to get around 20% protein overall. It's harder than I thought it would be.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    do you think its too low?

what is your current weight? goal weight? activity level?
  • ChubbyRose84

I started at 270, I'm currently at 261 as of today. I'm trying to lose 10 pounds at a time.

My long term goal is to weigh what I did when I got married - 170.

I know that's not BMI friendly, but I've never been able to weigh my right BMI without going hungry.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    1400 calories is quite doable. Exercise can be something as simple as walking.
  • ChubbyRose84
    Has anyone here started at higher calorie range, and decrease over time? Maybe I could start with 1700 calories?
  • deannalfisher

I started at 270, I'm currently at 261 as of today. I'm trying to lose 10 pounds at a time.

I know that's not BMI friendly, but I've never been able to weigh my right BMI without going hungry.

if you run your information through MFP - set to 1lb a week weight loss - what does it give you for calories? TBH 1400 sounds on the lower end based on your current weight (and remember that the MFP recommendations do NOT include purposeful exercise)
  • ChubbyRose84

if you run your information through MFP - set to 1lb a week weight loss - what does it give you for calories? TBH 1400 sounds on the lower end based on your current weight (and remember that the MFP recommendations do NOT include purposeful exercise)

It has me at 1800 calories
  • ChubbyRose84
    Also, I think my caloric range actually decreased by 50 calories since I began.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Sounds sensible (I actually braced myself and felt a great relief) - a goal for sugar is kinda redundant though, keeping carbs and protein at that level will reduce sugar intake by default - and exercise doesn't have to be exhausting yourself, you can walk, and split it into chunks.

You will have to tolerate some mild hunger, but eating this way is to not make you feel starved. Good doctor.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Also, I think my caloric range actually decreased by 50 calories since I began.

This is normal. Your calorie goal will go down as you lose weight because a smaller body needs fewer calories than a larger body. You should have MFP recalculate your calorie goal every 10 pounds or so to account for this.
  • deannalfisher

It has me at 1800 calories

TBH - i would go with that - unless your doctor actually calculated your caloric intake required specifically for you - its just a SWAG...you could keep the same rough ratios (its 22% protein; 41% carbs and 37% fat)

to hit your carbs, while being mindful of sugar - look to your starches - rice/potato/barley/farro/pasta etc; as well as veggies (although some like carrots have comparative amounts of sugar and fiber)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    If you hit that protein, the hunger will be lessened.

Hunger for me is driven by eating too many fast-metabolizing carbs. So I stay with two servings of whole fruit daily, one or two servings of whole grains and just some sugar in my yogurt (Greek, for more protein) and in my coffee. Hitting that protein goal will help you a lot.

Why don't you split the difference with Myfitnesspal and your doctor and go with 1600. 1600 is a good amount of food if you get that protein and fat and fiber and eat most of your food as whole foods. I was on that amount for about a year total when I was losing. If you get some exercise for that 45 minutes, you can add a couple hundred, too. That's how this site works.

• ChubbyRose84
    I'll see how much I'm eating before I decide for sure what to do. Most doctors are NOT nutritionists or dietitions.