Do we need to consume calories burned to gain weight?

Options
atcpt
atcpt Posts: 3 Member
Hi, I have a goal to put on 10kg of muscle. My calorie intake per day is around 3000. I am pretty active and burn around 1500-2000 calories a day. When I put this into my fitness schedule in My Fitness Pal it then wants me to consume those extra calories I burned. Is this correct? Do I need to eat back burned calories because I am eating so much even before I start having to consume calories burned?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Yes. Otherwise you'll be in a deficit and you'll lose weight.

That said, what are you doing that says you're burning 1500-2500 calories? That's a pretty high number on top of your maintenance calories.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    If you're using MFP as designed, and you're burning 1500-2500 in *addition* to the lifestyle activity, then yes, you absolutely need to consume them.
  • atcpt
    edited July 2018
    Options
    atcpt wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »

That said, what are you doing that says you're burning 1500-2500 calories? That's a pretty high number on top of your maintenance calories.

My job is where I burn up most of my calories plus training before work. Thanks for your help.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    What are you doing that is burning 1500-2500 calories? I find it very difficult to believe you're doing exercise that would burn that many calories day in and day out. For perspective, I'd have to ride like 80 miles per day or so to burn 2500 calories with that activity. There is no way I could physically do that.

You need to figure out your TDEE and eat more than that to gain weight.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    22lbs of muscle......youre gonna be bulking for a longgggg time for that goal! unless you're enhanced lol
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options

My job is where I burn up most of my calories plus training before work. Thanks for your help.

Change your activity status according to your work life. Then only log your exercise.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Where are you getting that number from? An activity tracker or MFP? If it's the latter, your job should be accounted for in your activity level.
  • atcpt
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    What are you doing that is burning 1500-2500 calories? I find it very difficult to believe you're doing exercise that would burn that many calories day in and day out. For perspective, I'd have to ride like 80 miles per day or so to burn 2500 calories with that activity. There is no way I could physically do that.

Ha ha yeah not burning that many all the time but after a massive day at work and if I do a big run it’s up there. Cheers for your response.
  • warrendempster
    warrendempster Posts: 2 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Don’t eat more than 10% on top of your TDEE or you’ll just put on fat, I would say start at maintenance calories with 2g protein per kilo of bodyweight, and add around 5% carbs/fats per week keeping your protein the same, keep doing that until you notice that you’re putting on fat, then just dial the carbs/fats back a bit and that will be your surplus. 👍
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Ha ha yeah not burning that many all the time but after a massive day at work and if I do a big run it’s up there. Cheers for your response.

Like other have mentioned, your job is taken in to consideration in your daily activity.

If you struggle to eat enough calories to be in a surplus, you may want to consider limiting the long runs