Is keto effective for controlling type 2 diabetes

Options
2»

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I would talk to your doctor. I'm T2 and have a diabetes nurse, dietitian and testing every 6 months. I would never go on any keto diet without medical advice or supervision. The medically supervised ketogenic diet is different from the standard ketos touted by diet peeps, and non diabetics can probably do those with minimum supervision. Diabetics have to watch fat intake as well as carbs. We can't just eat any types of fats that standard keto diets might say are okay, because our organs can be more adversely affected than non diabetics. In short: if you're thinking of going ketogenic, make sure you have your doctor and diabetes team monitoring you.

@Millicent3015
    Do you have any information or studies that support that? I have not read of any organs that would be harmed by higher than normal fat levels.

I eat a ketogenic diet so it is relevant to me. Thanks.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I know that diabetics are at higher risk for heart attacks, so my cholesterol levels, blood pressure, etc. are watched very carefully. Tolerances are tighter than they are for non-diabetics.

High fat diets are associated with coronary trouble.

https://www.businessinsider.com/iceman-5300-years-ago-ate-a-high-fat-meat-lovers-diet-2018-7
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    The documentary “The Magic Pill” shows people who are type 2 diabetic, kids with autism ect and being on Keto drastically changed their lives. Me personally, wouldn’t trust what your MD says because 90% of the time they’re into it for the money and only giving you enough advice and pills to come back and get more. You doo what you feel you should whatever that may be. I personally feel the Keto diet would be affective for you.

So you'd trust a nut job celebrity chef who's an anti-vaxer, believes in "earthing" therapy and says that sunscreen is made from poisonous snakes, rather than a formally trained doctor, to manage a potentially crippling/deadly disease?

OK then.

In another blinding news flash, I don't mistrust doctors because they expect to earn money for doing their jobs. I mean, that's kinda what jobs/careers are all about. In fact, I'd consider them pretty dumb if they ran up hundreds of thousands of dollars in college debt to become doctors, then worked for free.

@ 2003-2004 I met an earthing-er who was also a fruitarian. I really wish I remembered his name so I could see if he is still practicing (and alive.)
  • klenz525
    klenz525 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi, I would recommend talking to your doctor about insulin dosing. You shouldn't HAVE to eat a certain amount of carbs to match your insulin. You can match the insulin to the amount of carbs you choose to eat. I do believe keto can be a wonderful tool for managing blood glucose. I have type 1 diabetes and have been keto for about a year, and it works great for me, but everyone is different!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    The documentary “The Magic Pill” shows people who are type 2 diabetic, kids with autism ect and being on Keto drastically changed their lives. Me personally, wouldn’t trust what your MD says because 90% of the time they’re into it for the money and only giving you enough advice and pills to come back and get more. You doo what you feel you should whatever that may be. I personally feel the Keto diet would be affective for you.

So you'd trust a nut job celebrity chef who's an anti-vaxer, believes in "earthing" therapy and says that sunscreen is made from poisonous snakes, rather than a formally trained doctor, to manage a potentially crippling/deadly disease?

OK then.

In another blinding news flash, I don't mistrust doctors because they expect to earn money for doing their jobs. I mean, that's kinda what jobs/careers are all about. In fact, I'd consider them pretty dumb if they ran up hundreds of thousands of dollars in college debt to become doctors, then worked for free.

@ 2003-2004 I met an earthing-er who was also a fruitarian. I really wish I remembered his name so I could see if he is still practicing (and alive.)

He may have ascended to Nirvana by now.
  • Mom2ATM
    Mom2ATM Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine has been controlling hers very well on strict keto. Under Dr supervision of course
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I would talk to your doctor. I'm T2 and have a diabetes nurse, dietitian and testing every 6 months. I would never go on any keto diet without medical advice or supervision. The medically supervised ketogenic diet is different from the standard ketos touted by diet peeps, and non diabetics can probably do those with minimum supervision. Diabetics have to watch fat intake as well as carbs. We can't just eat any types of fats that standard keto diets might say are okay, because our organs can be more adversely affected than non diabetics. In short: if you're thinking of going ketogenic, make sure you have your doctor and diabetes team monitoring you.

@Millicent3015
    Do you have any information or studies that support that? I have not read of any organs that would be harmed by higher than normal fat levels.

I eat a ketogenic diet so it is relevant to me. Thanks.

If you're not T2 it might not be relevant to you. Lack of insulin/insulin not working properly can add complications like vision and nerve problems that non diabetics might not face. But it's pretty well established by now that an excess of unhealthy fats can lead to heart problems. As for looking for supporting information, that's something best done by yourself, so you can decide for yourself which course of action best suits you.
  • mybigfat
    mybigfat Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I had a talk with a dietitian and we came up with a plan I am going to eat healthy 80% of the time 20% being foods that may not necessarily be healthy and this way I dont go back to my old very bad habits (I had an eating disorder)