How to lose the last 10 lbs.

69golfergal
69golfergal Posts: 22 Member
I'd love to hear from anyone who has had success losing those sticky last 10 lbs.
After a year of success, losing 40lbs, I'm stuck on a plateau with 10 to go. I'm exercising frequently and don't indulge in cheat days but the scale hasn't budged in two months. After seeing no results for six weeks I increased calories to reflect a goal of 1/2 lb loss per week instead of a pound. Maybe my body has slowed my metabolism. My plan is to wait until fall and hit it again for a month or two. Suggestions?

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    The first step is always to evaluate your logging. Are you using a food scale and making sure to choose correct diary entries?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    The last 10 lbs can be hard, slow, water weight can mask progress, also you don't have as much wiggle room in your deficit as you used to and it can be easy to go over your goal. Start weighing and measuring accurately, everyday, be consistent. Obviously it can be done without a food scale, but if you aren't seeing results, that would be the first thing I would start doing.
  • 69golfergal
    I weigh some things but don't bother with squash, celery, etc. I'm logging the same as I have throughout my success. I'm increasing my protein, that might help. I do one hour on an incumbant bike on days I don't golf. If my fitness calories are 500 I might consume one or two hundred extra calories that day. Most of the responses to my post assume I am doing something wrong but there is a lot of research on plateaus, dieting's effect on metabolism, etc. I plateaued at 1200 calories a day, I won't reduce that number, I'm 5'10", eating less would be unhealthy. Has anyone else went at least two months without losing while carefully following a disciplined plan?
  • 69golfergal
    Thanks for the encouragement, I'm in it for the long haul. Good luck to you too, I'm sure it will come off. Probably a few lbs all at once😊
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited July 2018
    I weigh some things but don't bother with squash, celery, etc. I'm logging the same as I have throughout my success. I'm increasing my protein, that might help. I do one hour on an incumbant bike on days I don't golf. If my fitness calories are 500 I might consume one or two hundred extra calories that day. Most of the responses to my post assume I am doing something wrong but there is a lot of research on plateaus, dieting's effect on metabolism, etc. I plateaued at 1200 calories a day, I won't reduce that number, I'm 5'10", eating less would be unhealthy. Has anyone else went at least two months without losing while carefully following a disciplined plan?

I'm in a similar boat with that final 10 hanging on now for quite awhile. I like to attribute it to my age and a medication that I take that causes weight gain. I've still managed to lose on it, but it's been slow as molasses. That being said, I KNOW I could tighten up on my logging and pay more attention to things like nibbles and licks. Even things that are low calorie still have some so maybe you might want to bother with squash and celery and other things you aren't currently weighing just to be completely accurate. Assuming you're counting them somehow? Logging the same as you did throughout your success doesn't mean you might not need to change things up for the final push (and that doesn't mean eating less than 1200). I know this is true for me, as I was doing exactly the same thing that I did before when I hit the plateau. I've now been weighing everything diligently for a week, so my next weigh-in will tell the tale.
  • gutsnglory6
    gutsnglory6 Posts: 76 Member
    I lost about 25 pounds a while ago, and then found my weight loss completely stalled before the last 10.
    I ended up just staying at maintenance, because I was pretty happy with my new weight. That was about six years ago.
    Recently, I decided to go at the extra 10 again. It was slow going and frustrating, but I did it (it took about four months) through logging and exercise.
    You’ve done great. You’ve lost 40 pounds. Congratulate yourself on what you’ve achieved, give your brain some time to get used to how you look (body dysmorphia is absolutely a thing after you’ve lost weight), measure your waist and remember that can be a measure of success that’s not the scale - and if you still feel the need to drop 10 pounds, go back into a deficit and do it.
  • 69golfergal
    Thanks everybody, so many ways to lose. I noticed today my golf shorts were tighter in the thighs but the scale is the same. My hamstrings have been sore from all the recumbent bike riding, oh...eureka, leg muscles! I am tall and strong and I get really strong, really fast when I work out. So I'm content where I am, my calories consumed are definitely less than calories expended and I don't want to obsess over celery and squash. When I have doubled checked items with my scale I generally have been putting down more calories than less. If I haven't lost more by November I'll do the 1200 again for a couple months. I'm going to start free weights for arms and upper body this week, maybe fill in my wings with biceps! Thanks again.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    I upped my activity to compensate a lot. I still lose 1.5lbs/week even at close to goal. I'm 148 and goal was 145 but I'm thinking it might be 140 now. It's amazing how much bf we don't think we have when we're 20lbs heavier haha
  • 69golfergal
    Great job! So many advantages to less weight, little things too, like not getting as hot in the summer, no foot pain, fitting in stadium seats, etc.
  • helene4
    helene4 Posts: 120 Member
    edited July 2018
    Personally for me it makes a difference what I eat to lose the last 10lbs

I noticed when I ate popcorn!!! or any corn (chips) or gluten over night I would bloat up and the scale would go up 2lbs (even though I stayed within my calories for the day)

When I ate mainly veggies (broccoli! yum) and fish, the scale kept on a steady decline. I think these are the foods my body can easily digest.

Just a thought! The foods might be different for you, everyone's body is different

Good luck!
  • zb786
    zb786 Posts: 22 Member
    I'd love to hear from anyone who has had success losing those sticky last 10 lbs.
    After a year of success, losing 40lbs, I'm stuck on a plateau with 10 to go. I'm exercising frequently and don't indulge in cheat days but the scale hasn't budged in two months. After seeing no results for six weeks I increased calories to reflect a goal of 1/2 lb loss per week instead of a pound. Maybe my body has slowed my metabolism. My plan is to wait until fall and hit it again for a month or two. Suggestions?

You are where I am at! Lost 43 lbs and have around 10 to 14 to go. It is slow and frustrating and I was questioning my scales- especially as some of my mfp friends are losing much quicker. My approach is to try and generally up my activity levels and to be rigorous with my weighing and logging. We will get there! Feel free to add me if you need a friend in a similar position.

I AM IN THE SAME BOAT!!! I’ve lost 43lbs and still need to loose another 14lbs or so and I really am stuck in a plateau and ITS SOOOO FRUSTATING!!! I need some advice guys plz!! Xx

• robynsklar
    robynsklar Posts: 10 Member
    I just lost the last 10 pounds. I actually have 0.4 pounds left. This is what I did.

-upped my intensity during workouts, but did not change the type of workout
    -as much as possible I had 100 calories or more left uneaten each day and sometimes more
    -I religiously stayed on track
    -I drank 10 non caloric beverages a day
    -I’m loosing with a friend and we text almost everyday

It took me less than 3 months to loose it. Tomorrow is my weigh in day and I believe I will make goal. I’m 5’4” and 6 months ago I had a baby. The baby weight stopped magically coming off at 148.8 pounds. My goal weight is 125 and my last weigh in was 125.4.

You can do it!!!
  • cv2517
    cv2517 Posts: 14 Member
    Hi Robynsklar,

Congratulations on your weight loss! That’s awesome! My name is Carolina I’m looking to connect with some like minded women to support my weight loss journey I have lost 25 pounds and would like to lose another 10-20 more pounds. Would love to connect and support each other on our health and fitness goals :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!