Running Shoes Suggestions

Options
Hey guys I love running and run about 11 miles every other day and go on long walks most days. I'm again due for another pair of running shoes, but I can't keep buying shoes that I'm going to wear out fast. Anyone have any suggestions on good quality running shoes?

Replies

• RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Saucony and Brooks. Excellent cushion without feeling heavy. Large toe boxes. They offer neutral and stability shoes. But yes, go supporter your local running store.

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Good quality running shoes really only last 300-400 miles. That’s about 2 months for you (probably less depending on how long your walks are).

There are tons of “good” brands (Brooks, ASICS, Saucony, Mizuno, Nike, Altra, Hoka One, New Balance, just to name a few). The ones that work for you are the ones that fit your feet and work with your gait.

As mentioned, go to a running store and have them fit you.
  • AnitaKundu
    AnitaKundu Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I started using aasics when I was about 20 (I'm now 37). I do a lot of running (at the moment, x3 9k runs each week), but I wear my shoes for gym workouts (strength training, classes etc when I'm not running). I am still with the model Gel Cumulus which I was recommended by a shoe science store that videotape your feet when you run and then make a shoe recommendation. They do stock other brands as well so if those were right for me they could have recommended one of those. I am still with that model after all these years and haven't had issues with my feet, but last year I switched to the men's shoe in that model as I found my toes were getting a bit cramped in the ladies model. The mens shoe is roomier around the toes and so much more comfortable.
  • mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I recently got fitted at my local running shop. Tried on loads of makes and styles. I chose Brooks, a brand I’d never heard of but they were the most comfortable, plenty of cushioning but not heavy. I was also pleasantly surprised when I picked them as the best fit and asked the price.
  • LyssaRonnell
    LyssaRonnell Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Go to a running store and have them fit you

I have never heard of that. I live in mid Missouri in a small town surrounded by other small towns, in not sure if there is one remotely close, but I will look because that sounds great!
  • janeo150
    janeo150 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I second going to an athletic shoe store to be fitted. I run 5 miles a day (weekdays) and wear a men's Saucony due to the larger toe box. I love them and have been wearing Saucony for years. Once you've been fitted for your first pair you can then shop online sales. Amazon has pretty good prices at certain times of the year. I go through about 4 pairs a year.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Don't buy a brand because somebody else on the internet wears that brand. What works for one person's body will not necessarily work for yours.

You need to be professionally fitted. It's worth taking a day trip to the nearest town with a running store to do this if at all possible. You really only need to do it once, unless your body changes so dramatically that you might need a more/less supportive shoe. After that, you can order your shoes online. This is not just a matter of supporting a local business, although that's nice too. It's about finding a shoe that will allow you to run comfortably and with the least risk of injury.

You also have to be realistic about your expectations for how long running shoes will last. I get 300 miles out of a pair. Some people use a pair for longer, but you're most likely not going to get, say, 500 miles out of one pair. Shoes are an investment in your fitness and enjoyment of the sport. Other than your appropriate supportive undergarments, they're really the only equipment you have to buy in order to run. Plus, proper shoes are far cheaper and more enjoyable than treatment for an injury.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Don't buy a brand because somebody else on the internet wears that brand. What works for one person's body will not necessarily work for yours.

You need to be professionally fitted. It's worth taking a day trip to the nearest town with a running store to do this if at all possible. You really only need to do it once, unless your body changes so dramatically that you might need a more/less supportive shoe. After that, you can order your shoes online. This is not just a matter of supporting a local business, although that's nice too. It's about finding a shoe that will allow you to run comfortably and with the least risk of injury.

You also have to be realistic about your expectations for how long running shoes will last. I get 300 miles out of a pair. Some people use a pair for longer, but you're most likely not going to get, say, 500 miles out of one pair. Shoes are an investment in your fitness and enjoyment of the sport. Other than your appropriate supportive undergarments, they're really the only equipment you have to buy in order to run. Plus, proper shoes are far cheaper and more enjoyable than treatment for an injury.

^^^. This. 100% This.

I would also add, choose a great fitting, moisture wicking sock.

for me, the thinner the sock... the better.

I like DeFeet brand but I've also had success with thin training socks from Target.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I wrote this today for a friend who is buying his first running shoes.

I'm not recommending any specific brand. Just letting you know what to expect when faced with the plethora of models and claims from running shoe companies.

https://zenmode.org/2018/07/22/things-ive-learned-about-running-shoes/
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Hey guys I love running and run about 11 miles every other day and go on long walks most days. I'm again due for another pair of running shoes, but I can't keep buying shoes that I'm going to wear out fast. Anyone have any suggestions on good quality running shoes?

As others are saying, just taking recommendations doesn't mean you'll get the best shoe for your needs. Most manufacturers make motion control, neutral and cushioned shoes in two or three different price ranges. You need something appropriate for your gait, build, distance and terrain. I'm not a huge advocate of gait analysis, but you do need to do your own research into how you run.

Fwiw if you followed the recommendation I'd give, you'd get something suitable for a 6ft1, 165lb trail ultramarathon runner who likes a neutral shoe with a low drop and minimal cushioning. That could easily injure you in very short order, or at the very least put you off running. I like Inov-8 MudClaws.

I'd add that running shoes should be reserved for running. They have a life of between 400 and 600 miles and if you walk in them you reduce that distance life as you're applying two different wear patterns to them.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options

Motorsheen wrote: »
    apullum wrote: »

^^^. This. 100% This.

I would also add, choose a great fitting, moisture wicking sock.

for me, the thinner the sock... the better.

I like DeFeet brand but I've also had success with thin training socks from Target.

Good moisture wicking socks are really helpful, especially at longer distances or in damp/humid conditions. Running more than 5k in a regular cotton sock gave me so many blisters.

I also go for a thin sock, but just because my feet are very wide and I want to avoid more bulk inside my shoe. (So if I were to recommend a shoe brand, you’d just be getting the only brand whose shoes fit me!). The thinnest I’ve found are Balega Hidden Dry. I also have some Smartwool socks that are nice if I want something a bit thicker.
  • meleileen
    meleileen Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I’m in the same boat. I’ve been wearing Brooks Glycerin for years, but my feet have changed a bit as have the shoes (I started with Glycerin 11, I think and the 13s don’t feel the same). I suffer from plantar Fasciitis, have high arches etc. so off to a running shoe store I go lol....this week, I hope. Too many variables to chose one shoe, let a pro help you.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I find that having two pairs of running shoes and wearing them every other day has them last just a bit longer. Instead of having to replace them every 300-400 miles, they now last 400-500 miles per pair.
  • aliyusaf
    aliyusaf Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    A bit about myself: 6'7'' in height, weight is 211 lbs and I run 5k about 4 times a week. I started off with Asics Gel Kayano's after being measured by a sports shop. I stuck with them through three iterations and following advice from another sports shop, moved to Adidas Ultraboost. Stuck with them through 2 iterations and am now back again with Asics Gel Kayano 25s.

Bottom line: there are many shoes that will do and the shoe that will be ideal one year, may not be the next. Shoes evolve, our feet, gait and body also evolve. Things change. What works for one, may not work for you. You won't really know, no matter what, until you run for a while in a pair of shoes.

Best of luck.
  • dmille2
    dmille2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    meleileen wrote: »
    I’m in the same boat. I’ve been wearing Brooks Glycerin for years, but my feet have changed a bit as have the shoes (I started with Glycerin 11, I think and the 13s don’t feel the same). I suffer from plantar Fasciitis, have high arches etc. so off to a running shoe store I go lol....this week, I hope. Too many variables to chose one shoe, let a pro help you.
    meleileen wrote: »

Wow I have questions for you. I send add request