Gaining weight to build muscle

I want to gain weight and build muscle. Can anyone recommend any ways of doing this...food/diet recommendations and gym recommendations would be good👍🏻

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    I want to gain weight and build muscle. Can anyone recommend any ways of doing this...food/diet recommendations and gym recommendations would be good👍🏻

Check out the Most Helpful Posts, lots of great info:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300326/most-helpful-posts-goal-gaining-weight-must-reads#latest
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member

In short, do a lean bulk of 250-500 calories if you're a male (depending on your years of lifting experience, if you're new, your surplus should be more near 500 than 250) surplus per day with a good workout program. If you're a woman, I think the surplus should be 125-250 calories per day. There are many links in this forum that will explain it into detail on how to do it, including the link Kimny72 just posted.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    @fb47 hit it spot on. Also aim for about .8g of protein per pound of body weight. Being a bit over or a bit under wont make much of a difference, just try to remain consistent. Along with nutritionally dense foods such as sweet potatoes, avocados, whole fat milk, asparagus, whole grains(quinoa, wild rice), legumes and beans. The more nutritious your diet Is, the more likely the hard work you put in will yield better results. Though you can build muscle with just a surplus, why not go all in.

As for a program. I suggest using one that's premade by a professional, a 5x5 is always a good start for your first 6 months to build a base.

You will also want to maintain a good sleep schedule and keep stress levels down. Cortisol which is released during high stress times is shown to have a catabolic effect on muscle growth.