Halo ice cream

Options
Has anyone tried it before? What’s your intake on it? Is it good? Does it actually taste like ice cream?

Replies

• fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Sort of. However, 320 calories is not going to taste the same as 1200 calories.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I love their birthday cake one, it's probably my favorite ice cream flavor and that includes all real ice cream. I honestly can't tell the difference between it and real ice cream.
  • asonrody
    asonrody Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    I love their birthday cake one, it's probably my favorite ice cream flavor and that includes all real ice cream. I honestly can't tell the difference between it and real ice cream.

I used to make banana splits with their birthday cake pint!
    I don't really go for Halo Top nowadays though. I think Enlightened is better and they have a better selection of flavors. I also like the new Arctic Zero pints better than Halo Top.
  • desg1218
    desg1218 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It's decent for a low cal icecream. The mint chip is really good.
  • ChelleTrell
    ChelleTrell Posts: 49 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I recently tried Halo Top for the first time. While I was eating it I thought it tasted pretty good for a low cal ice cream. But afterwards it left a really weird taste in my mouth. I still have half a pint in my freezer with no desire to eat it, which is unusual for me because I have a major sweet tooth.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I’ve tried almost every one of their flavors. Not bad, but I like both Enlightened and Chilly Cow better. Taste is subjective and it will probably also depend upon how picky you are about your ice cream.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I eat half a pint an evening
    Our flavour choices are limited here in the UK but I like salted caramel, mint chip and hopefully will be able to get my hands on birthday cake tomorrow
  • mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I love the dairy free oatmeal cookie flavor, 70 cals a serving. Yum!
  • timpdubu
    timpdubu Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Enlightened black cherry is better in my opinion
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I tried a bunch of HT and Enlightened flavors last year and decided I didn't care for them. This year I'm doing reduced fat Ben & Jerry's. More calories than HT, but better taste IMO.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I haven't had ice cream in perhaps a year and OMG did the enlightened coffee ice cream taste great! It had a weird after taste but getting to eat a pint was so satisfying!!! I can't wait to try more

It was creamy and chock full of coffee flavor, but as I said earlier I haven't had real ice cream in year so idk what actual ice cream is like anymore. I usually eat dark chocolate or almond butter for dessert.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I eat half a pint an evening
    Our flavour choices are limited here in the UK but I like salted caramel, mint chip and hopefully will be able to get my hands on birthday cake tomorrow

They didn't deliver my ice cream, I'm off to go cry in a corner
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I love it! Candybar is my favorite.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried it before? What’s your intake on it? Is it good? Does it actually taste like ice cream?

I prefer by far Coolway (Canadian low ice cream company) over Halo top. When Halo Top came to Canada, I was actually disappointed, it felt like some water downed ice cream or sorbet. Instead Coolway has the same number of calories, 28 g of protein, 16 g fiber and actually tastes like an ice cream.
  • scribblemoma
    scribblemoma Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I will fight someone to the death for their Peaches & Cream flavor at the moment haha! But to be fair I never have “real” ice cream (not even as a child) so I can’t reliably compare the two. I do love the brand though!
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    It sucks.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    IMHO if you want something sweet and cold it can be quite good.
    If you really want ice cream, it's a bit of a disappointment.

I think the best benefit is that folks who need volume can eat the whole pint and not blow up their day. I unfortunately have an issue with sugar alcohols and a whole pint would rip my digestive system apart :disappointed: . Through trial and error I found I can eat @ 1/3 of a pint with no "issues" and that really isn't worth it to me. YMMV

I find the slow churned versions of some major brands (Edy's around here) hit the "creaminess" spot better and I can still eat a reasonable amount for the calories. I prefer to keep Chilly Cow and Yasso pops in the freezer for evenings where I just don't have the calories but still need something. I still can't find any Enlightened around here to try!

Honestly, you really have to try it for yourself. When it comes to substitutes, it's really subjective how passable a substitute is.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I'm really enjoying Halo Top and trying the various flavours. Just wish we had more flavours and it wasn't so stupidly expensive here in Canada. Our last US trip, we took a cooler with us to load up at Fred Meyer since they were on a good sale.

But the Enlightened Red Velvet kicks Halo Top's Red Velvet butt.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    It tasted OK, but I found it curiously unsatisfying - not sure why. I tried a couple or so flavors, and finally threw out the last of it, after it had been sitting in my freezer for a while. It just wasn't worth even its meager calories.

I'd rather have real-er ice cream even if it's less often, or plain yogurt with frozen berries, or even a Yasso Greek yogurt bar.

I know other people love the stuff, though. If sugar alcohols cause you digestive distress, as they do for some, you probably don't want to try it. Otherwise, try it and see.