Intermittent fasting

lillypade
lillypade Posts: 77 Member
I am new to intermittent fasting. I want to do the 16:8. My question is if I start my eating window at 10:00am. What would be good food to break my fast WHEN NOT AT HOME? Easy food to take along.
«1

Replies

  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2018
    Whatever you want. It really does not matter.
  • lillypade
    lillypade Posts: 77 Member
    Is a Special K slim fast shake ok
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited July 2018
    Google it, I mean there's an endless amount of choice and we don't know exactly your taste either. Also, there is no "Best foods to break fast either". But if it helps, a protein bar would be my pick for something portable with a good combination of protein, carbs, fats and maybe fiber (depending on the brand, Quest bars have high fiber for example).
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Any food you like is ok. A diet that provides all the nutrition you need every day without taking you over your calorie target, is a good goal.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    When you are "not at home," are you talking about being out and about at multiple locations, or do you mean at work? If it's work, I would probably go for a smaller snack at around 10 am to tide me over until lunchtime (assuming designated lunchtime), and then do more calories then. If I was going to be running around and not able to do a fuller lunch, I would probably do something with a little more to it just to get me through. You could always do a bigger meal at 10 am, and then do a later (2 pm), smaller lunch. It kind of depends on how hungry you are at that time of day.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Whatever you like!
  • lillypade
    lillypade Posts: 77 Member
    edited July 2018
    Here probably a dumb question with intermittent fasting while fasting can you chew gum?
  • lillypade
    lillypade Posts: 77 Member
    Here probably a dumb question can I chew gum while on my fast?
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    lillypade wrote: »
    Here probably a dumb question with intermittent fasting while fasting can you chew gum?

    yes.......
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    831teerex wrote: »
    When breaking your fast it’s important to remember that your digestive system is very sensitive and the FBG (fasting blood glucose) level will be low. It’s important not to hit your body with carbs when breaking your fast. You’ll spike your blood sugar, which prompts insulin release, which in-turn prompts fat storage and may cause some other metabolic issues as you move through your day.
    Drink water during your fasting period, and notably at least 8 ounces 20-30 minutes before you break your fast. Break your fast with a mild or easily digestible protein. My wife and I prefer beef bone broth, eggs or Greek yogurt. Bone broth you can keep in a thermos or water bottle; eggs you can hard boil and take with you; eggs or Greek yogurt should be kept cold, so you may need a small lunch box with ice packs or something, but think ahead and set yourself up for success and you’ll be fine. There’s plenty of easily digestible proteins to pick from, find two or three that you tolerate well, and that way you can have some variety during the week.
    After you break your fast, give your body another 20-30 minutes before you eat your first meal.

    There is nothing wrong with breaking fast with carbs. Also, if your concern is insulin, I hate to break it to you, that proteins cause insulin to be released. And even if you just ate straight fat, your body would still store the nutrients. The fatty acids would be broken down over a few hours (~3hrs) and either oxidized or stored as fat.

    OP, your plan sounds ok.

    I wonder if all that is true in obese in recovery. Read a few abstract that talked about a preference for greater dietary fat storage post weight loss, while carbs tend to be burned for fuel more. Yes, protein causes a pretty good insulin response. especially whey...... For me N=1... I prefer higher protein and fat for breaking my 12-14 hr fast. Digestion seems really quick for me. Carbs just get passed on soo fast. Like I said, thats jut n=1.....
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,363 MFP Moderator
    psychod787 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    831teerex wrote: »
    When breaking your fast it’s important to remember that your digestive system is very sensitive and the FBG (fasting blood glucose) level will be low. It’s important not to hit your body with carbs when breaking your fast. You’ll spike your blood sugar, which prompts insulin release, which in-turn prompts fat storage and may cause some other metabolic issues as you move through your day.
    Drink water during your fasting period, and notably at least 8 ounces 20-30 minutes before you break your fast. Break your fast with a mild or easily digestible protein. My wife and I prefer beef bone broth, eggs or Greek yogurt. Bone broth you can keep in a thermos or water bottle; eggs you can hard boil and take with you; eggs or Greek yogurt should be kept cold, so you may need a small lunch box with ice packs or something, but think ahead and set yourself up for success and you’ll be fine. There’s plenty of easily digestible proteins to pick from, find two or three that you tolerate well, and that way you can have some variety during the week.
    After you break your fast, give your body another 20-30 minutes before you eat your first meal.

    There is nothing wrong with breaking fast with carbs. Also, if your concern is insulin, I hate to break it to you, that proteins cause insulin to be released. And even if you just ate straight fat, your body would still store the nutrients. The fatty acids would be broken down over a few hours (~3hrs) and either oxidized or stored as fat.

    OP, your plan sounds ok.

    I wonder if all that is true in obese in recovery. Read a few abstract that talked about a preference for greater dietary fat storage post weight loss, while carbs tend to be burned for fuel more. Yes, protein causes a pretty good insulin response. especially whey...... For me N=1... I prefer higher protein and fat for breaking my 12-14 hr fast. Digestion seems really quick for me. Carbs just get passed on soo fast. Like I said, thats jut n=1.....

    Carbs blunt fat oxidation, which means fats will store more quickly. Carbs actually rarely store as fat based on de novo lipogenesis studies. But yes, carbs and protein drive insulin, which drives nutrients storages.

    Overall, breaking a fast is individual. For me, i rather have high protein and carbs and low fat. Largely, i do that for satiety reasons.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    831teerex wrote: »
    When breaking your fast it’s important to remember that your digestive system is very sensitive and the FBG (fasting blood glucose) level will be low. It’s important not to hit your body with carbs when breaking your fast. You’ll spike your blood sugar, which prompts insulin release, which in-turn prompts fat storage and may cause some other metabolic issues as you move through your day.
    Drink water during your fasting period, and notably at least 8 ounces 20-30 minutes before you break your fast. Break your fast with a mild or easily digestible protein. My wife and I prefer beef bone broth, eggs or Greek yogurt. Bone broth you can keep in a thermos or water bottle; eggs you can hard boil and take with you; eggs or Greek yogurt should be kept cold, so you may need a small lunch box with ice packs or something, but think ahead and set yourself up for success and you’ll be fine. There’s plenty of easily digestible proteins to pick from, find two or three that you tolerate well, and that way you can have some variety during the week.
    After you break your fast, give your body another 20-30 minutes before you eat your first meal.

    There is nothing wrong with breaking fast with carbs. Also, if your concern is insulin, I hate to break it to you, that proteins cause insulin to be released. And even if you just ate straight fat, your body would still store the nutrients. The fatty acids would be broken down over a few hours (~3hrs) and either oxidized or stored as fat.

    OP, your plan sounds ok.

    I wonder if all that is true in obese in recovery. Read a few abstract that talked about a preference for greater dietary fat storage post weight loss, while carbs tend to be burned for fuel more. Yes, protein causes a pretty good insulin response. especially whey...... For me N=1... I prefer higher protein and fat for breaking my 12-14 hr fast. Digestion seems really quick for me. Carbs just get passed on soo fast. Like I said, thats jut n=1.....

    Carbs blunt fat oxidation, which means fats will store more quickly. Carbs actually rarely store as fat based on de novo lipogenesis studies. But yes, carbs and protein drive insulin, which drives nutrients storages.

    Overall, breaking a fast is individual. For me, i rather have high protein and carbs and low fat. Largely, i do that for satiety reasons.

    I know that the insulin >:) (lol), blunts fat breakdown and most is stored. I just remember reading somewhere that after weight loss, there is a greater preference to store fat and burn carbs. Kitten, I could be wrong....
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,363 MFP Moderator
    psychod787 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    831teerex wrote: »
    When breaking your fast it’s important to remember that your digestive system is very sensitive and the FBG (fasting blood glucose) level will be low. It’s important not to hit your body with carbs when breaking your fast. You’ll spike your blood sugar, which prompts insulin release, which in-turn prompts fat storage and may cause some other metabolic issues as you move through your day.
    Drink water during your fasting period, and notably at least 8 ounces 20-30 minutes before you break your fast. Break your fast with a mild or easily digestible protein. My wife and I prefer beef bone broth, eggs or Greek yogurt. Bone broth you can keep in a thermos or water bottle; eggs you can hard boil and take with you; eggs or Greek yogurt should be kept cold, so you may need a small lunch box with ice packs or something, but think ahead and set yourself up for success and you’ll be fine. There’s plenty of easily digestible proteins to pick from, find two or three that you tolerate well, and that way you can have some variety during the week.
    After you break your fast, give your body another 20-30 minutes before you eat your first meal.

    There is nothing wrong with breaking fast with carbs. Also, if your concern is insulin, I hate to break it to you, that proteins cause insulin to be released. And even if you just ate straight fat, your body would still store the nutrients. The fatty acids would be broken down over a few hours (~3hrs) and either oxidized or stored as fat.

    OP, your plan sounds ok.

    I wonder if all that is true in obese in recovery. Read a few abstract that talked about a preference for greater dietary fat storage post weight loss, while carbs tend to be burned for fuel more. Yes, protein causes a pretty good insulin response. especially whey...... For me N=1... I prefer higher protein and fat for breaking my 12-14 hr fast. Digestion seems really quick for me. Carbs just get passed on soo fast. Like I said, thats jut n=1.....

    Carbs blunt fat oxidation, which means fats will store more quickly. Carbs actually rarely store as fat based on de novo lipogenesis studies. But yes, carbs and protein drive insulin, which drives nutrients storages.

    Overall, breaking a fast is individual. For me, i rather have high protein and carbs and low fat. Largely, i do that for satiety reasons.

    I know that the insulin >:) (lol), blunts fat breakdown and most is stored. I just remember reading somewhere that after weight loss, there is a greater preference to store fat and burn carbs. Kitten, I could be wrong....

    You are generally on par. As you lose weight you become more insulin sensitive, which drives a better P-ratio, meaning you would be more effective at storing glycogen and oxidating glucose.
  • johnslater461
    johnslater461 Posts: 449 Member
    831teerex wrote: »
    lillypade wrote: »
    Here probably a dumb question can I chew gum while on my fast?

    It really depends on the gum. Check the ingredients, most gums have alcohol sugars in them and other artificial sweeteners. These technically break a fast.

    How, pray tell, di you break a fast without calories?
  • lillypade
    lillypade Posts: 77 Member
    edited July 2018
    U have me confused now. So no gum or green tea while fasting? Just water only? And it is or not ok to break fast with say eggs and a carb?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Don't overcomplicate things. It's hard not to, because what you have to do seems so simple and boring, and we humans are drawn like moths to flashy light. To lose weight, you just have to eat less and move more. When you accept that, you will succeed.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,363 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2018
    lillypade wrote: »
    U have me confused now. So no gum or green tea while fasting? Just water only? And it is or not ok to break fast with say eggs and a carb?

    So technically, if you consume calories, you aren't fasting as your body will metabolize them. But if you are doing this for calorie control, it wont matter, gum will be fine.

    And its fine to consume carbs after fasting.