burning on the sides of my calves

Options
hi my fitness pals! Question...how do you alleviate the burning pain that comes with walking? The sides of my calves burn horribly and runs from the side of my knee down to the top of my ankles on both sides. I stretch it, but it really hurts and gets worse when i try to jog.

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I would try foamrolling or something similar. Slow motion slow, or just hold the pressure. If there are spots that hurt particularly then give those a very good, very slow roll. If you don't have a roller, then a tennisball or something else round might also help. I do have similar problems every now and then and rolling helps.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I had a deep massage of the anterior tibia muscle on both legs. Same price as a manicure and much better value - pain free since.
  • snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Lots of stretching, but also look into better fitting shoes. A running store can test your stride and recommend shoes that work best for you. Best decision I ever did for walking and jogging (although I no longer do those and now do mostly low impact cardio). I got nightmarish shin splints running before good shoes. The other half of the equation for me was stretching, especially ankles and calves.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I had something similar and after nearly a year of tests, the result was, they had no idea!

Stretching didn't help, foam rolling didn't help, rest didn't help, new shoes didn't help. Taking a gelatine supplement was the only thing that worked for me. It's like night and day in terms of difference.

• jmf286
    jmf286 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's not really normal. I would definitely hold off on jogging until you can get assessed by a podiatrist and/or physiotherapist. Sounds like something's off with your gait. Might be easily fixed with particular exercises or shoes.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    sounds like your body needs rest.
    RICE
    then consider if your shoes are adequate. if they are just random shoes, consider getting a gait analysis at a running store (often free) and get fitted. cheaper than physical therapy
    consider if you are going too fast or too far. adjust accordingly.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    how do you alleviate the burning pain that comes with walking?

Your calves are probably tight, which is common. Try stretching your calves for at least 30 seconds every hour and before running too. The effects of stretching don't last long, so use a reminder app if you forget to do it hourly.
    Post an update in a few days. :+1: