Rest Days - Treadmill

Options
DoubleUbea
DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
I used the search and briefly went through the results, 'rest days' seemed to focus on strength training.
I know it is important to give your body rest days in strength training but I want to know if rest days are important for cardo or walking.

Is it important to give your body rest days if you walk? If so one or two rest days a week? Currently I try to get on the treadmill at least five days a week, usually shooting for six. I am wondering if I should give myself a day or two off each week.

Thank you.

Replies

• VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Walking is fine on rest days. I am a runner, we need rest days as well. Basically: it's a recovery day from dedicated workouts that do leave the body tired and often sore. A moderate walk is perfectly fine (just keep the pace at a moderate level and limit the incline on a treadmill).
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I most likely did not answer my question correctly. I am not doing strength training, the only thing I do is walk every day. Should I take rest days from the walking? Walk Sun, Mon, Tuesday, rest Wednesday, walk Thursday, Friday, rest Saturday OR just walk everyday that I can?
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options
    I try to walk every day. If my body is really tired out from overexertion then I will take a day off but there are plenty of times I will at least go for a short walk just to get the blood moving.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    I most likely did not answer my question correctly. I am not doing strength training, the only thing I do is walk every day. Should I take rest days from the walking? Walk Sun, Mon, Tuesday, rest Wednesday, walk Thursday, Friday, rest Saturday OR just walk everyday that I can?

If it's power walking at a high speed and/or steep incline, then yes take a break from that. If it's a moderately paced walk at a low/no incline, then no, that's perfectly fine. If your body is sore from a lot of walking, then listen to your body and take a relaxation day. A moderate walk is one of the very few exercises that is recommended to do everyday.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Agreed. We have a large dog who gets walked every day, rain or shine. Since I'm a runner, my walks are really helpful at loosening up my body. I only walk a few miles every day though and I've been walking daily for many years. If you find your walks are making you stiff and sore then you should give your body a break.