Question regarding daily calories

Options
tanyamum
tanyamum Posts: 39 Member
Hi everyone I hope your weight is going the way you want it to. I have a question regarding calorie intake. As you lose weight should the amount of calories per day reduce? Also does the app calculate this automatically? Thanks guys have a great day.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    If you keep the same rate of loss your calories will reduce as you lose weight because your maintenance is less. Reducing your rate of loss as you get closer to your goal is a good idea as it's hard to sustain a bigger deficit when you don't have much to lose.

When I change my current weight on the app it adjusts my calories for me - I think it might be different on the website.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Both will ask after a 10 lb change - less than that and the calories is really minor for the change.

Ditto to being smart and making a smaller deficit the less you have to lose - rather than the body forcing that effect on you by slowing you down.
    Guess which is more stressful to the body, and to the mind.

5-15 lbs - 0.5 lbs weekly
    15-30 lbs - 1 lb
    30-50 - 1.5
    over 50 - 2 lbs reasonable.
  • tanyamum
    tanyamum Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If you keep the same rate of loss your calories will reduce as you lose weight because your maintenance is less. Reducing your rate of loss as you get closer to your goal is a good idea as it's hard to sustain a bigger deficit when you don't have much to lose.

When I change my current weight on the app it adjusts my calories for me - I think it might be different on the website.

Thanks for your reply. I am using the app and logged in a 6.3kg lost and the calories didn't change.
  • cwelch2823
    cwelch2823 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good morning-I'm new as well and have a question. Do I need to end the day with calories left to lose weight? That is practically impossible to do. Or is the allotted amount of calories what I should eat but not exceed?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,991 Member
    Options
    tanyamum wrote: »

Thanks for your reply. I am using the app and logged in a 6.3kg lost and the calories didn't change.

Go into "GOALS" and choose "Guided setup." Make sure all your info is correct (esp weight) and then click "Save changes." It will update calories if you have lost more than 10 pounds since your last update.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    cwelch2823 wrote: »
    Good morning-I'm new as well and have a question. Do I need to end the day with calories left to lose weight? That is practically impossible to do. Or is the allotted amount of calories what I should eat but not exceed?

The stated base eating goal is already at a deficit to cause weight loss if you selected a weight loss rate, 1 lb weekly for example.

And that is if your day was at the activity level you selected - most selected Sedentary though that seems to be usually wrong.

If you do more, like exercise, then you let MFP you did it. Then MFP tries to teach a life lesson about weight management.
    You do more, you eat more.
    You do less, you eat less (that's the kicker for most).

So your calorie goal will go up when you exercise and log it - correctly as it should.

You have the same deficit to lose weight.

Just log exercise honestly for time and intensity if an option.