Pushups

Options
My body strength is plenty sufficient to do proper form pushups. However, my stomach is too large to get full range of motion. Am i doomed to incline/declines until later date? Anyone similar?

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,991 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    . . . it might help to get a pair of push-up handle grips that give you a little more height. And, if you wanted to, you could put your toes on a riser as well. Then you would have plenty of room.

You can also improvise or build/use all kinds of things to raise your body parallel off the ground. At the gym, you can use large kettle bells for hand grips and a bench for your feet or just use 2 benches if the equipment is available. Just think creatively.

BTW, FWIW, decline pushups hit your upper pecs more than standard pushups and, if you want to pushup more than your BW, you can also use a weighted vest. I only to decline pushups w/standard bench presses and have developed satisfactory pecs that way.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone doing an incline pushup, except those who don't have enough strength to do a stardard/decline one. However, incline/decline bench presses are common variations.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever seen anyone doing an incline pushup, except those who don't have enough strength to do a stardard/decline one.

Gads, I've seen it all the time in various exercise classes-- usually done by putting your hands on a step-aerobics riser. People also do it regularly using TPX straps. I think that standard push-ups are pretty hard, and I can't imagine doing them with added weight. I have worked them up over a very long time.
  • Strongfitmama100412
    Strongfitmama100412 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    you could also do them using dumbbells to rise you up.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,991 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I can't imagine doing them with added weight. I have worked them up over a very long time.

I do standars and decline pushups w/25 and 50# in my weighted vest when I feel like challenging myself. Can do 10-15 fairly easily w/25# but only 5-10 w/50#. Unweighted pushups feel so much easier when the vest is removed.

Same thing applies to pullups but the reps obviously differ. ;)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Richfw wrote: »
    My body strength is plenty sufficient to do proper form pushups. However, my stomach is too large to get full range of motion.

Full range of motion isn't necessary for pushups. You only need to go deep enough so your elbows are at back level, not behind your back.. which doesn't engage any more of the pecs, and puts more stress on the rotator cuff.
    If that's too easy, wear a weighted backpack. :+1:
  • Paco4gsc
    Paco4gsc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    If at home, you could use 3 chairs.