Garlic Soup Recipe

Options
TheRoadDog
TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
Saw this recipe on Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" show this weekend. Looked delicious. Going to make it this weekend.

j4utuz291x4f.png

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Sounds good! Update with the review :)
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    2 cups of garlic cloves! OMG that would be delicious! I have to try this :) I will really miss his shows :(
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Someone on the forum mentioned this being a recipe in their family that they'd enjoyed .... It was literally the same ingredients. (perhaps in the "garlic diet" thread ;))
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    I've eaten something similar in a cafe in Portugal. It's wondeful if the stock is good.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/06/how-to-make-portuguese-garlic-bread-soup.html
  • strongerbytheday
    strongerbytheday Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Sounds so good I can’t wait for the review!!
  • TheRoadDog
    Options
    Sounds so good I can’t wait for the review!!

I'm making it this coming Sunday. I will let you know how it turns out.
  • acpgee
    Options
  • cathipa
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    Made the Garlic Soup yesterday. Turned out awesome. I pretty much followed the recipe, though I doubled up on the Garlic. Not only was the soup delicious, but the whole house smelled great.

Thank you for the review! I'm going to make it tonight and I'm so excited now to try!!
  • TheRoadDog
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    Made the Garlic Soup yesterday. Turned out awesome. I pretty much followed the recipe, though I doubled up on the Garlic. Not only was the soup delicious, but the whole house smelled great.

Thank you for the review! I'm going to make it tonight and I'm so excited now to try!!

Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Someone on the forum mentioned this being a recipe in their family that they'd enjoyed .... It was literally the same ingredients. (perhaps in the "garlic diet" thread ;))

Hi, that was probably me ... I've thrown my family's little recipe for garlic soup into a few threads over the last couple of years. Indeed, a favorite of my Spanish father's, and astonishingly filling, delicious, and easy to make.
  • strongerbytheday
    strongerbytheday Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I’ve copied this, I will make this after I replenish (my almost gone) bag of Costco garlic!
  • cathipa
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »

Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Made it last night and it was delicious! I can't wait to try it after it has melded overnight :) Thank you again for sharing!
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    That looks fantastic!!!!!
  • acpgee
    Options
    Thanks for post OP. I will try the Anthony Bourdain recipe on Saturday but can't resist tweaking. I like the addition of fresh coriander in the traditional Portuguese garlic and bread soup and will skip the cream but drop in some beaten egg for richness.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    Thanks for post OP. I will try the Anthony Bourdain recipe on Saturday but can't resist tweaking. I like the addition of fresh coriander in the traditional Portuguese garlic and bread soup and will skip the cream but drop in some beaten egg for richness.

My Spanish aunt's recipe uses egg. It's a very, very simple variation (I know, I know, you have seen it before!):

4 cloves of garlic, halved and lightly toasted in a pot with some olive oil.
    A couple of slices of French or Italian style bread, about 1/4 inch thick, toasted in the flavored oil on both sides.
    A couple of cups of water, brought to a boil. Then bring down to simmer.
    A couple of eggs dropped in to poach while the pot is covered. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes.

Serve, with a choice of vinegars or lemon juice to flavor it up.
  • TheRoadDog
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »

Now that I followed the recipe the first time, I am going to make another batch this Sunday. Going to tweak it quite a bit. Can't wait.
  • acpgee
    Options
    I've prepped the soup for tomorrow night's dinner party. I went for a hybrid between the Anthony Bourdain recipe and the traditional Portuguese Acorda Alentejana.

Fried some onions and two cloves of garlic a la Bourdain in olive oil. The large onion at the bottom of the fruit basket I was counting on using had met it's maker so I ended using up some spring onions we had lying around the refrigerator. Fried some stale bread with the alliums and added chicken stock and black pepper. When soft, blitzed up the mixture with the immersion blender.

Made the coriander and garlic pesto called for in Acorda recipes but tossed in some basil from a plant that needed thinning out. My pesto was was one big bunch of coriander, 6 cloves of garlic, a handful of basil all blitzed in the food processor with a little olive oil. Will keep that in the fridge overnight.

Tomorrow just before serving I will beat a few eggs into the pesto and pour in a thin stream into the simmering soup. Have some croutons on hand to garnish.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Hybrid garlic and bread soup. Next time I won't puree bread into the soup. The traditional Portuguese version wins over Anthony Bourdain, I'm afraid.

tb3rn7sjjgvm.jpeg
  • LivingMyBestLife49
    LivingMyBestLife49 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, sounds delicious... love love love garlic :)