Keto.....thoughts?

Options
elissaberns2014
elissaberns2014 Posts: 1 Member
Thinking of jumping on the Keto bandwagon: weigh watchers works for a bit, then I get bored, 21day fix- good results, but get bored.

Any tips and advice?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    What is your reason for wanting to try keto? Some people who have issues restricting carbs might find it helpful and others might feel full on higher fat which will help them stick to a deficit. Other people find it very restrictive, difficult to sustain and hard on workout performance.

It is definitely not a diet for me. I don't have hunger issues, I can moderate carbs well, I love how carbs make me look (muscles, especially glutes look more full) and how beneficial they are for my workouts.

If you want to try it there are many posts and groups on here about it.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Keto is good, but chances are you’ll get bored.

I agree with this
  • hud54014
    hud54014 Posts: 3,777 Member
    Options
    Why did you get bored with weight watchers or 21 day fix? They seem to be less restrictive than keto.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    hud54014 wrote: »
    Why did you get bored with weight watchers or 21 day fix? They seem to be less restrictive than keto.

Basically what I was going to ask...
  • ricka1962
    ricka1962 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Keto is good if you can handle the fat and protein. Also, once you've hit your desired goal, you can increase your carbs a bit which changes up the diet. You then go from a keto diet to a low-carb diet. You're not in ketosis anymore, but the lower carbs keeps you from putting weight back on.

I've done low-carb for close to 20 years. It worked very well to loose weight I couldn't loose on other diet programs. Like any other diet, when it gets boring (even eating steak all the time), I throw in a cheat meal (past, pizza, fries, etc). Which does a lot to get me through the monotony of fat/protein based foods.

Like Sarelsa said, it's not for everyone but not very difficult to try it either.
  • Keto_N_Iron
    Keto_N_Iron Posts: 5,385 Member
    Options
    Keto is amazing ;) mmmmm bacon
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Bacon, sausage, eggs and cheese.....this I can do! I just miss having something to spread butter & jam on.
  • AnnieH_4512
    AnnieH_4512 Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I do keto. I’ve yet to get bored with it. It forces you to get creative.
  • Keto_N_Iron
    Options
    I do keto. I’ve yet to get bored with it. It forces you to get creative.

agreed!
  • ballerbryan
    ballerbryan Posts: 24 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I had a friend who apparently lose close to 40 pounds in 5 months because of Keto. Before that I just thought it was a fad.

Then I started seeing more and more people talk about being on Keto so for the past few weeks I've been doing some research on it.

After finally reading a bunch of Keto Guides For Beginners I finally feel like I understand how it works.

Basically;
    • Increase Fat
    • Moderate Protein
    • Decrease carbs

Normally, our bodies main energy source is carbs and sugar so immediately after cutting those things out our body is forced to find a new energy source.

Then our livers start producing what's called as Ketones. These become our new energy source.

The entire process is called ketosis. While being in ketosis apparently your body is in the most optimal state of fat burning

I've been on the fence about trying it out myself. I'm just not sure exactly how to plan out my diet just yet.

That's what I'm currently doing right now actually. So if anyone has some keto diet tips that would be pretty helpful
  • AlyssaP1987
    AlyssaP1987 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have been on keto for 3.5 months and down 46 pounds. I haven't cheated once. I haven't gotten bored with the foods at all. It's all about your mind set. I don't think about what I can't eat. I think about what I can. I am in love with keto. I honestly don't plan on ever going back. I feel better, sleep better, am happier, my complexion looks amazing, its just pure amazing.
  • AlyssaP1987
    AlyssaP1987 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who apparently lose close to 40 pounds in 5 months because of Keto. Before that I just thought it was a fad.

Then I started seeing more and more people talk about being on Keto so for the past few weeks I've been doing some research on it.

After finally reading a bunch of Keto Guides For Beginners I finally feel like I understand how it works.

Basically;
    • Increase Fat
    • Moderate Protein
    • Decrease carbs

Normally, our bodies main energy source is carbs and sugar so immediately after cutting those things out our body is forced to find a new energy source.

Then our livers start producing what's called as Ketones. These become our new energy source.

The entire process is called ketosis. While being in ketosis apparently your body is in the most optimal state of fat burning

I've been on the fence about trying it out myself. I'm just not sure exactly how to plan out my diet just yet.

That's what I'm currently doing right now actually. So if anyone has some keto diet tips that would be pretty helpful

I beat your friend. 46 lbs in 3.5 months. :) My husband has lost 63 lbs in same time period ♡♡
  • Keto_N_Iron
    Options
    dduytfot1dyp.png

And its awesome!!
  • Keto_N_Iron
    Options

Basically;
    • Increase Fat
    • Moderate Protein
    • Decrease carbs

Not reduced carbs. Minimal!! I keep mine to less than 20 next grams per day. Reduced is a relative term. If someone us used to eating 200g of carbs a day reduced could be 100 or 150. You won't get into ketosis that way
  • AnnieH_4512
    Options
    dduytfot1dyp.png

And its awesome!!

Yes, yes it is!
  • AnnieH_4512
    Options
    I tried reducing total cals too.
    Didn’t work for me, at all. No change.
    Cutting the carbs DID work.
    So maybe our bodies work differently?
  • AnnieH_4512
    Options
    I tried reducing total cals too.
    Didn’t work for me, at all. No change.
    Cutting the carbs DID work.
    So maybe our bodies work differently?

Me too. I did calories counting for years. What took me a year to lose with calorie counting I lost in 3 months doing Keto. It’s not as simple as calories in and calories out as so many like to pretend just because it has worked for them. What we eat does matter. And what we should eat depends on the person. My calorie goal has remained essentially the same. But my macros changed and only then did I start to see some actual changes.

Yes!! My cal goal is also the same, but the cutting of carbs made the true difference. And I also try to have a very good, healthy relationship with food. I don’t need the starchy, carby breads. If I missed anything, it would be pasta. But like I said earlier, I’ve learned how to be creative, and now I make my own Keto-friendly pasta. I’m not above doing a little extra work so I can get my body to the weight that I want it to be. Isn’t that what it’s all about?
    It’s NOT easy. Whether you work extra hard in the gym, or you work extra hard in the kitchen.
    I do both.