Lifters: need info on front squats

Options
2»

Replies

• missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I tried to front squat and was only able to do so with 65lbs (back squat is 105lbs). i had a hard time holding it up without hurting my collar bone
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I can see that happening. Today I think I had the bar too close to my neck at times and it would make me choke a little.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    how do you know you are doing a front squat well??
    because it feels like you're going to choke before you can finish your lift LMAO

I can't do elbows up- I can only do cross hold... but yeah my front squat is definitely not as impressive as my back squat. (Although that's shoddy as hell at this point too)

start with a broomstick- then ither the 25 bl bar (the straight one- not the EZ curl one) if your gym has one... if not try the 45 bar.

Front squats are fun- they are just hard as hell LOL <3 them!
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I can see that happening. Today I think I had the bar too close to my neck at times and it would make me choke a little.

That's pretty normal, sounds like the right spot, takes getting used to at first, but soon you won't even notice.

If you watch weightlifting competitions, you'll often see people unable to make the jerk after a decent looking clean, because they let the bar sit on their windpipe too long. Less frequently, you'll see someone not attempt the jerk and dump the bar, or collapse before the jerk, because the bar is sitting on the blood vessels in the neck, and the lifter blacks out. The second thing is unlikely just doing front squats, but it shows that the bar needs to be that close.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Take your finger tips and stretch your hand back so that it is palm up. Get used to that feeling. It's sort of awkward and painful at first, but I'm pretty sure this is how your hands should be. Far as I know, the bar should be resting on your fingertips/collar bone area.

She is right. When you do them correctly you are barely actually holding the bar, it is mostly balanced on your collar bone. If I do front squats I lift the bar doing a clean first. I prefer that method to the rack.

Also, it is common to not be able to do as much weight as a back squat, but I find you use your glutes and core a lot more than a regular back squat. I like them for a change once in a while.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Here's a good video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8zyw3fXZes

If you're just starting any lift you should always start with just the bar.

Anyone ever watched that video with captions?
    HILARIOUS
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options

I like how that guy runs out to the barbell before checking on the guy who passed out.
  • cats847
    cats847 Posts: 131
    Options
    Front squats are discussed extensively in the book Starting Strength, in the chapter about squat variations. I suggest reading it if you have not already done so