Grandma Died - Fell off the Wagon HARD!!!

Options
My grammy passed away 2 weeks ago, and I had been steadily losing for the last year, and most recently had lost about 20 pounds going wheatless...but i fell off the wagon hard, basically binge/stress eating and stuffing my face with whatever I want...gained 6 pounds, and managed to lose 3 since I got off of berevement leave. Finding it hard to get back to my healthy ways...just sad.

Replies

• rxman13
    rxman13 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    hang tough u will get it back. sorry for loss
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Make this your time. Think of it as a way to say "I'm learning from her life mistakes" and workout, eat right and reduce stress.
  • aszwarc
    aszwarc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    *hug*

You're allowed to be human, and that includes some grief eating. Brush yourself off and take it one day at a time.

Good job on losing some of the temporary gain.
  • jazzygurl81
    jazzygurl81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. What you are going through is normal, so don't beat yourself up for temporarily falling off the wagon. Try talking to someone - a friend, pastor, maybe a therapist - to help with your emotional eating. Take this time to focus on yourself and your family, but also realize that sometimes exercise really does help with stress, maybe just a walk in the park instead of a full working out the gym. Just take it little by little.

Again, my condolences.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    My gram died last november. I blogged about it (if you read those things) That helped me a lot. Talking about it and blogging about it.

she was SO damn proud of me and loved me so much and I loved her.

to be honest eating was my last thought....and when I did think about it, I remembered how much she always wanted the best for me....that helped a lot

i'm sorry for your loss.
  • misalillstead
    misalillstead Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I did exactly the same thing last year when I lost my sister. It takes time to heal, which I know you know already. But just start out slow... go for walks in 'pretty' areas. lol... sounds funny, but it helped me. I found I felt better when I was outside with the wind in my face. I even started dedicating some of my workouts to my sister, as she died of weight related issues.

Just take baby steps. Congrats to you for losing those 3 lbs!! It's a GREAT start!
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss and the fallout from it. I also had a hard time not eating my feelings when my mom died four years ago. It helped to even just get out and walk- to talk to myself or to her in my head (or out loud) and connect with something other than what was in my refrigerator or the pantry. Picking up the phone and calling a friend or starting a hobby that keeps your hands and mind busy can help, too.

In the end, it's okay to be sad. To feel lost and to be angry that your life is so completely altered while the rest of the world seems to keep spinning merrily around. Just don't lose YOU while you work through all that.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. If you're not "finished" with the lifestyle change yet, I think it's to be expected that a few steps might be taken backwards. If you don't feel like logging everything nor keeping track of what your food choices are, would it help to at least log in here every so often? It might help you to come back a bit quicker perhaps?
  • MeowSkull
    MeowSkull Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry :( Losses of loved ones are so hard to deal with and having to think about your eating habits at the same time often doesn't work out. I had spent 2 years losing 15 pounds and was within 1 pound of my wedding weight when I had an episode of Bells Palsy and then my Mom died. I gained 23 back and here I am, still trying to lose it all.

Don't be hard on yourself, you need grieving time and space for yourself. I bet you'll lose it faster than you expect. It's not just eating that caused your gain, it's stress on the body too. I will add that sometimes, especially during the anger periods of grieving, exercise is a wonderful and great release.

Much love to you...
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    oh ****... i started laughing when i realized that it was you that fell off the proverbial weight loss wagon.

i thought you were describing your grandmothers death!!!

i'm very sorry for your loss.
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your loss but you see you fell off so now jump back on and hit it hard :) Good luck and just take it day by day and if you fall off again just do better the next!
  • JellyBeanQueen86
    Options
    oh ****... i started laughing when i realized that it was you that fell off the proverbial weight loss wagon.

i thought you were describing your grandmothers death!!!

i'm very sorry for your loss.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. ^^ lol oops my bad!

Really sorry for your loss :(
    I have one grandparent left.... My grandad passed away a few years ago... last year I got a tattoo on my ribs dedicated to him on what would have been his 90th birthday!
    You have to find something that helps you inside have that "final goodbye" the tattoo was mine <3 I miss him everyday still but i can talk about him and his death without crying now.
    Next step is flying back to NZ next year for the family reunion knowing i wont see him this time.... that is going to be hard!

*big hugs* Its always hard losing someone you love! Just remember that they wouldn't want you to hurt yourself in anyway just because they are gone... keep making them proud... stay on your weight loss journey to being a healthier you! You got this!! <3 xx
  • alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your loss.

The best thing I did after my parents death was to start exercising. (I started walking to clear my mind.) Then I decided since I wasn't eating much due to the stress and feeling lost, that I would start logging what I ate.

What ever you decide to do, don't beat yourself up. Your going through a loss of a family member. Just take it a day at a time.

Good luck/hugs,
    Allie
  • aliasbee
    aliasbee Posts: 27
    Options
    Eating is one of those natural escapes from grief. We get positive feelings from eating comfort foods (some chemical, some psychosomatic), and when we are really stressed out or upset it's hard to rely on just willpower to avoid doing so.

Community is the best resource you can use. I hope you have support for your lifestyle choices, but us at the MFP community will be happy to try and fill in any gap. Hang in there and climb back on that horse again.

Our body is like a house, we need constant attention to it, but there will always be little natural disasters that will change what we expect to have to take care of. I hope you don't get discouraged. Take care of your mental health first, though I am sure any physical attention will only help!
  • liftingheavy1
    Options
    Philippians 3:20-21 But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss. My Gran died in June and it was tough on me too, I also fell off the wagon.
    I put all my energy into exercising and TRYING to eat the best I could but acknowledging that I probably wont sometimes :flowerforyou:
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss. My mom died in July and it sometimes seems so trivial to worry about calories and macros when someone you love is gone and your life will never be the same.

I decided to dedicate certain parts of this journey to her memory because I know she would want me to be the healthiest I can be, and that helps me stay on track. I also am making sure that I eat regularly even if I'm not really feeling it and trying to get enough sleep (sometimes not so easy), to help keep from having wonky blood sugar and disrupted sleep-dependent hormones affecting my decisions.

Hang in there. :flowerforyou:
  • emjean76
    emjean76 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Dealing with grief is so difficult. I got depressed and gained some weight too after my grandpa died, and we weren't even really that close. I think I was feeling some guilt for not being closer to him maybe? Anyway, as time passes you will improve. Just don't beat yourself up on the days you don't eat up to your standards. Tomorrow is a new day. Good luck!