U.S Marine Weight Loss Journey

Options
Hello all, I'm Mike 33 years old.

So here we go! My goal is to get back down to the 165 range. Right now? Don't ask.. But...Since you did, 207!! I can't believe it either!! 207lbs of muscle wouldn't be to bad and I wouldn't complain. However it's not.. At all. To put a long story short, all my life up until around age 25 or so I was the one who could eat a large pizza by himself a 2 ltr of Coke and lose 2 pounds somehow. I had this natural four pack ab's that I used to flaunt around like I had something to do with it, but it was just there.
Now? Oh boy. In 2009 during a deployment to Afghanistan I got hit by three road side bombs, on three separate occasions. August 11, September 12, September 30th 2009!! Still got all my fingers, toes, and I'm all there, however this made my head spin circles and put me on more prescription meds than I can count once I returned. I was directed and ordered 1) No physical activity, and no running, jogging etc. So my body went to crap, and in turn the fact I couldn't even do anything and the feeling of being worthless put food in my face. Now three years later, everything I did...I must undo. I'm on my first week of getting back into it. I started Monday. I do Insanity daily, I go to the gym from 11am - 1220pm running, followed by the elliptical. Also Monday - Wednesday I do HITT, which is short for High Intensity Tactical Training.
Now you might be asking why I'm here? Well, just to see and talk and to look at what others are doing and to just have ways of tracking progress. I like to see how others are achieving there goals, and being on sites like this keeps me motivated and going. So, nice to meet you, and good to be here!

Replies

• m76b
    m76b Posts: 1,498 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: hello
  • ninessential
    Options
    First off would like to thank you for being a marine. :-) Much respect.
  • mike_usmc
    mike_usmc Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hey all. Thanks, and no problem. Its been a great 14 years so far.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Just lift weights bro.
  • mike_usmc
    Options
    Tuesdays/Thursdays are weight days for me. I do include them into my routine.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Good, I hope its none of that light weight rubbish, HEAVY PLEASE
  • salad_tramp
    salad_tramp Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for serving our country, and glad to hear you are on the path to recovery and better health. Sometimes I workout with MSGs and struggle to keep up (but they are great motivation). Sounds like you have a really good plan in place. You just need time to let it work itself out.
  • nyrina4life
    nyrina4life Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    First, hats off to you sir for going into the Marines. Thank you for your service!

Second, there are a lot of good folks on here that will help you on your journey. I wish you the best of luck. I am sure you will do fine and be back to your goal weight in no time.

Wish I could offer advice, but I'm on my own journey and have a long road ahead of me.
  • mike_usmc
    Options
    Thank you very much. lol. It starts light, and ends heavy. I have someone I'm working with at the gym on base who's arms are as big as my legs. However, my goal is not to have arms as big a house. Just cut and tone.

No problem on the serving..My pleasure. Thanks for the support
  • Elektrolyfe
    Elektrolyfe Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Army checking in, there are a lot of good tips to be found on here feel free to pm me any questions.
  • mike_usmc
    Options
    Sweet, sounds good.. Thanks.
  • Hlasweet
    Hlasweet Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thank you for doing a job few want to do!

You have started a new journey in your life and I hope you feel great about it! If you want some encouragement and support, please feel free to add me as a friend!
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • ncorbett88
    Options
    Thank you for serving our country :)
  • jmommy1
    jmommy1 Posts: 2
    Options
    I get it, I was in the Army during the start of this mess, busted my knees and got diagnosed with PTSD, got put on a bunch of pills, had to kids and my body went to crap. I'm working through it and will get there again.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    Hey Drillfoot, former soldier here ... 11 years from 1985 to 1996 ... got to play in Iraq, Kuwait and Mogadishu, plus spent first few years in Germany during the Cold War. I can relate and I'm on the journey to be fit the fit, hard guy I was when I was doing the soldier thing. Feel free to friend me if you want, or just ping me any time. Respect to you.
  • S0nsh1ne
    S0nsh1ne Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU for all you have done for others. Medications and getting older (jk) can wreck havoc on your body but I'm glad you're doing well enough to get up and moving again. I've been on MFP for 7 months now and there's great, supportive people around. Take care and good luck!
  • mike_usmc
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies and encouragement! Very good people in this community. I still take a few med's for the headaches and what not, cause they get so bad I get nauseated and feel like I'm going to pass out. But for those I know they are coming, and I'm still active duty and its safe for me to work out and do my thing.

It's so hard to undo all the things I've done. Even with the pills, and the fact I was told not to do any type of physical activity that could have to big of an impact on the brain, I do like food. I think I may have(at one point) fell into a comfort food era. I'm also from, born and raised in Michigan and let me tell you we love some steak and taters! So I don't place the blame on all of that, it was me as well. At the same time all the injuries and the doctors telling me to not do anything never helped either.
  • Pinkee33
    Pinkee33 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    In case you haven't heard it lately [but I'm sure you have] you are awesome! Can't even begin to imagine some of the things you went thru and saw; my hat is off to you :bigsmile:

Feel free to add for support and motivation.:drinker:
  • AspiringPinkPinUp
    Options
    Welcome & thank you for all you do! This is an amazing site/supportive community. I hope you find it to be as helpful and amazing as I do! If you're looking for friends, feel free to friend request me! Have a wonderful day :drinker: :flowerforyou: