10K Training in 10.5 Weeks

Options
Helppppppp!!!!!

I have always had a love/hate relationship with running, for years and years, and want to love it and make it apart of my life again, for good!!

My friend and I do a 10k every year over Thanksgiving (Canada), and it falls on October 8th this year.

My question. Is it possible for a beginner (again), to train for a 10k in just over 10 weeks? I'm not completely out of shape, however, I loooooove playing mind games with myself when running, and can't seem to get in the "zone". I'm definitely not a tiny build, more of a sprinter build, carrying about 20 extra pounds, 5'9", and should weight 165/170lbs.

Any advice for getting back into it, or those who may have struggled for years and found an awesome way to love it again and stay interested? Looking for any plans, tips, tricks, inspirations to get me back into it. I'd love to make it part of my life again....forever. :smiley:

Accepting friend requests if you're in the same boat or want to help inspire.

Thanks all.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Download c210k app and see how it goes. I think it’s programmed for 12-16 weeks, depending on whether you’re running at all now. You should be able to run the majority of it and there’s no shame in walking part (or all) of it. Good luck!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I went from not running to 10k in 12 weeks, so you'll be fine. If you can get to 5 miles ahead of the race you should be ok, just increase your mileage slowly.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Both the above. Also, a gamechanger for me was downloading the Zombies Run! app. My brain screaming at me that I couldn't do it was a massive problem for me and listening to that seems to distract it enough for my body to be able to do its bit without too much trouble.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Both the above. Also, a gamechanger for me was downloading the Zombies Run! app. My brain screaming at me that I couldn't do it was a massive problem for me and listening to that seems to distract it enough for my body to be able to do its bit without too much trouble.

I'm not sure I could run further than a mile without Sam telling me to. Love Zombies Run!