Why I run.

Options

Replies

• midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I'm eating copious amounts of mac and cheese today for lunch so I will be running as a result tonight. I effing hate running. I've tried to love it since the first year I ran cross-country at the age of 12. 35 years later, I'm still trying to love it and I'm still hating it.

But the mac and cheese!
  • snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I run because I'm often so stressed my options are either a) eat a Chinese food combo, several Little Debbie Cakes or a pint of Ben and Jerry's,
    and a box of Cheezits, b) alienate everyone, or c) blast the techno and run it out. I choose running. It's the least destructive.
    You can possibly run AND have a Little Debbie cake or part of the pint of ice cream!
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    snemberton wrote: »
    eIIekay wrote: »
    I run because my iPad fits perfectly on my treadmill and I can watch Netflix without binge-watching in front of the TV.
    I also binge watch shows on the elliptical and bike! That's when I watch all the shows my husband doesn't like, but are favorites of mine.

Yup, did the whole Mad Men series on an elliptical.

This!

90% of my success in losing weight and exercising is directly because of my desire to watch shows during my workouts. (Or listen to good podcasts.) It's what motivates me to go the gym most nights.
  • littlegreenparrot
    littlegreenparrot Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I run for food, for the being in the countryside, and the accomplishment.

Every other part of my life involves other people co-operating and showing up, but the run is just me.
    Whether I stand or fall is on me, I find that motivating and empowering. Helps me maintain faith in my own ability to do anything.
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    letitia75 wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »
    letitia75 wrote: »
    I run because it makes me feel good and I like running past walkers :wink:

As a walker...HEY!

:)

I walk so I can eat more. Lots more.

What was that, I'm running past LOL

Ok, I'm over it. The wind felt good as you ran past. :)

Just jokes, I used to walk and now I can run so I do
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I run for fun!

4xmve3f14104.jpeg
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    JoeCWV wrote: »
    bpotts44 wrote: »
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    bpotts44 wrote: »
    Exercise for reward is not optimal. Try to run because it is enjoyable.

who the hell are you to judge whats optimal.

Run for chocolate. *kitten* yes.

I'm not judging. Every pinned Getting Started thread suggests doing exercise you enjoy. The OP is clearly not running because they enjoy it.

Its no different than careers. Imagine two people in the same job. One goes to work everyday hates it and is just there to collect a paycheck on Friday. The other person enjoys their job and finds it rewarding. The paycheck is a bonus that allows them to live their life more fully. Which situation is more optimal for long term career progression, fulfillment, happiness, etc?

I'm simply suggesting the OP try to find joy in running and not do it simply so they can drink an extra beer. If they can't find joy in it they would probably have long term success pursuing another form of exercise.

I do enjoy my daily five mile runs. But I do it for the beer. You don't know me so why are you judging me? I did not say I did not enjoy running. I put up a fun post and you feel some need to kitten all over it. you are an kitten.

Are you typing the word "kitten"? It's much more satisfying if you type the real word first and let mfp do its thing. :)
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I run to relax, it's my meditation.
  • reginakarl
    reginakarl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I run for lots of reasons...

1. Food
    2. Mental health/anxiety/depression/stress relief
    3. Food
    4. I like it
    5. Food
    6. Only Time in my life that I can justify neon attire due to need to be visible to traffic
    7. Food
    8. Excessive shoe collection is considered standard equipment
    9. Did I say food already?

The runger is real.
  • lizzy_satellite
    lizzy_satellite Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    eIIekay wrote: »
    I run because my iPad fits perfectly on my treadmill and I can watch Netflix without binge-watching in front of the TV.
    This is what I do too. Treadmill time is 'films my husband doesn't want to watch' time (either that or I have a youtube music video playlist on).
    I also run because it helps my mood, but mostly I run for cheesecake.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I love running. Even at moments when I hate it, I love it afterwards. I run because maybe every month or so, I actually do get that runner's high. It's my therapy, my me time, my thinking time, my jam-to-music-that-embarrasses-my-kids time.

I wish I could be someone who ran for beer or cupcakes (or pancakes! yum!). However, that just hasn't worked out in my experience. I've been at my highest weights while training for half marathons and whatever the Garmin says I burn, I just really don't get to eat it back. Jealous of everyone who is running for cupcakes, though! That would be an extra bonus!