Is this okay?

Options
So I eat about 1,200 calories a day maybe less depending. I run/jog/ walk about 5miles a day, then come home and do weight lifting. I’m trying to lose 30lbs before January, so will this calorie deficit help? I lost 26lbs so far but I want to lose the weight and look leaner and gain muscle mass, you know?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is all you need to lose weight, but most likely you don't have to go as low as 1200 calories. A pound a week (plus at least a portion of your exercise calories) will be sufficient enough and you'll be very close to your goal that you can finish it out in the new year. As for muscle, you won't gain it while in a deficit, but that doesn't mean stop lifting...you'll still be able to keep as much muscle as possible with lifting.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Your rate of loss is ok... But 1200 or less is really low. What are your stats? Are you measuring your intake accurately? While gaining muscle in a deficit is possible it's typically only in specific cases. If your deficit is too aggressive and depending on your stats it's not likely to happen. You can help maintain what you have though to improve your body composition when you get to goal.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You want to lose weight, but you also want to eat. Trying to eat too little is how you end up eating too much. Be disciplined to stick to an appropriate calorie target, not to aim to eat as little as possible.