Can we talk planks/abs?

Options
Ok so I have finally come to the realization that my abs suck and I really need to work on them. Up until today, planks had been against my religion. I finally got myself to do some. I did a standard plank for about a minute and side planks for about 30 seconds each. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to do planks correctly? Any advice is appreciated! Also, any advice is general about slimming the center region of my body with diet and exercise would be greatly appreciated as well.

TIA!

Replies

• SarahRose35
    SarahRose35 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You're probably going to have a bunch of people tell you that you can't 'spot reduce' and to lift weights. Good luck with your abs (:
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    For better abs, continue eating at a deficit with lots of protein and focus on big lifts such as deadlifts and squats. Those will do a lot more than doing a few planks a few times a week.

If you want to do some core isolation, planks are very simple. Put your elbows on the ground and plant your feet. Keep your body in a straight line, don't let the butt come up or down. Side planks are the same except you turn to your side. Simple stuff.
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    In for any tips that will keep my face from feeling like it's going to explode doing front planks.
  • femmebb23
    Options
    Imagine you're balancing a board on your back as you do the plank. Your butt shouldn't be up in the air or dropping toward the floor. You're looking for your body to be one straight line. Also, don't droop your head, keep it up to keep proper form.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    You're probably going to have a bunch of people tell you that you can't 'spot reduce' and to lift weights. Good luck with your abs (:

That's because you can't spot reduce.

Abs comes from general lowering of BF%. Good Diet, work (cardio w/ compound strength training), and patience is the formula for "abs".

You can do "ab" work every day, but it isn't going to make your center slimmer. Your body is going to burn fat from whatever region of the body it wants first, with the abs normally being the final point.

You'll find that many on this site with abs, don't actually do a targeted ab routine.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

That's because you can't spot reduce.

Abs comes from general lowering of BF%. Good Diet, work (cardio w/ compound strength training), and patience is the formula for "abs".

You can do "ab" work every day, but it isn't going to make your center slimmer. Your body is going to burn fat from whatever region of the body it wants first, with the abs normally being the final point.

You'll find that many on this site with abs, don't actually do a targeted ab routine.

this. this right here. /thread.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

Well yes, you can't spot reduce fat and everyone should lift weights!

Anyway, plank position - Elbows directly under shoulders, weight on your elbows and on the balls of your feet. Your body should be in straight line (no back arch/slumping) from head (which is down) to your feet. Suck your belly into your spine. That's pretty much it.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Whoops!
  • Rosiemac2
    Rosiemac2 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My trainer has me do a side plank on my left side hold for 20 seconds....then go on both arms for 20 finally right side for 20 seconds....do not stop in between.....Repeat 2 more times.....I also have a routine using the weights in the pulley machine where you are working your upper body while doing spilt squats which helps to engage your core....I hired a trainer for 5 sessions and he set me up with a program that works the entire body...It has really helped my midsection. I am also doing cardio as well....I hear you about the planks though I was laughing the first time I did them since they hurt so bad.....now since I see a difference I dothem gladly...best way to keep the dreaded muffin top at bay:)
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Sweet.....looks like I was doing them right! And I know you can't spot reduce, and I do lift weights. I just felt adding some core strengthening couldn't hurt since I don't really do much of it.

I feel the wine I drink is keeping my belly from reaching it's full potential, but even when I stop it, it doesn't really change. I feel otherwise my diet is pretty spot on. :/
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    www-getfitwithnikki-com_large.jpg

I also make them more challenging by lifting an arm or a leg, or putting my feet up on a weight bench, or putting me feet on a bosu ball.
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    My trainer has me do a side plank on my left side hold for 20 seconds....then go on both arms for 20 finally right side for 20 seconds....do not stop in between.....Repeat 2 more times.....I also have a routine using the weights in the pulley machine where you are working your upper body while doing spilt squats which helps to engage your core....I hired a trainer for 5 sessions and he set me up with a program that works the entire body...It has really helped my midsection. I am also doing cardio as well....I hear you about the planks though I was laughing the first time I did them since they hurt so bad.....now since I see a difference I dothem gladly...best way to keep the dreaded muffin top at bay:)

This sounds really good. I think I'll try it that way! Thanks!
  • Tum22
    Tum22 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Most important for women when exercising is to concentrate on pulling your belly button in when doing a plank or crunch or lift, etc. If you perform the exercises with the correct posture - tummy pulled in, chest out, shoulders down you will improve overall posture and take pounds off. Good luck!