Any aerialist out there?

Options
shepnic72
shepnic72 Posts: 15 Member
edited July 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey everyone ... looking for fellow aerialists who are out there doing their thing!!
Do you struggle with your weight but yet love to hang upside down for fun? I have reached a mental block when it comes to inverting my booty just doesnt want to go above my head! Any tips?
Looking forward to chatting with you all. 😀

Replies

• kcs76
    kcs76 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Not an aerialist, but this is something I want to try very badly.
  • TiisTitanium
    TiisTitanium Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I am a wannabe aerialist. I train of Lyra once a week and Trapeze and Silks as well as a lot of handstand and flexibility classes plus Adult ballet classes just to round it out. Haha all that sounds like I am really proficient at it but I only do it as I am beginner who wants to move past the sucking stage.

My biggest tip for learning to do straddle inversions is to lie on floor and practice getting your hips and legs up this way.
  • shepnic72
    Options
    @kcs76 you should try!!! Its super fun 😀😀
  • shepnic72
    Options
    A huge forum like this and only 3 of us!! How disappointing!
    @TiisTitanium where are you located? Im in Canada.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    There's plenty more. @mbaker566 , @Mouse_Potato, @BekahBeast @wezreeeee77

When I started aerial, I had NO strength. I injured my serratus anterior trying to invert before I was really ready. I took a break and concentrated on lifting weights and built up my core and lats. All of the sudden, inversions and climbs were easy.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    do Plow to help get the hips over and learn to engage the right muscles in the right order :smile:

i teach aerial yoga including advanced-ish that looks more like circus hammock. i play on the lyra but am just self taught. started aerial yoga on a bet. bet 5 bucks i'd hate it. i lost five bucks

i still can't climb. lots of have tried to teach me. i fail.

doooo iiiiiit @kcs76
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    I've just started with parkour. Does that count? It does involve some air, dangling, and jumping off things. And I'm having a ball :D
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I'd love to do Parkour, but you know....on low things. LOL
  • findingmb
    findingmb Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Not an aerialist but I do adagio on the ground, and have dabbled on a Lyra a fair bit!

I would love to do more but we live in a much smaller place now and it is just not available here - so for now just adagio :)
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I am an aerialist as @mom23manos mentioned. I mostly do pole these days as silks is really hard on my joints. I was very weak when I first started, but I also took up weightlifting and now I can invert all day long. I even got my first Iron-X a few months back!
  • shepnic72
    Options
    Yes this is awesome!!! And YES parkour def counts! My son is big into parkour 😀
    Thanks for the tip in using plow pose to help get my hips over my head. This is one of the things i struggle hard with and climbing too!!! UGH why is it so hard to get. I teach pole beginner and advanced ... i can teach my students anything but dam if my brain cant figure out this climbing thing.

Currently i am in recovery mode from a fall from the hammock that i didnt tieboff properly and it dropped me right out onto the floor. I am mostly self taught for pole but have a friend who has been teaching my lyra and hammock. I love lyra dabble in hammock.
  • shepnic72
    Options
    findingmb wrote: »
    Not an aerialist but I do adagio on the ground, and have dabbled on a Lyra a fair bit!

I would love to do more but we live in a much smaller place now and it is just not available here - so for now just adagio :)

What is adgio?
  • snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I’d love to try as I lose more weight and get stronger, but I haven’t seen any classes in my area.
  • shepnic72
    Options
    snemberton wrote: »
    I’d love to try as I lose more weight and get stronger, but I haven’t seen any classes in my area.

Its super fun i hope you can find a class ... please dont let your weight stop you. We have a curvy girl class in our studio 😀
  • snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    shepnic72 wrote: »
    snemberton wrote: »

Its super fun i hope you can find a class ... please dont let your weight stop you. We have a curvy girl class in our studio 😀
    It’s more that my noodle appendages are still struggling with some of my body weight exercises. Once I keep up with my strength training a little longer and drop another 15lbs, I’ll feel like I have less chance of injuring myself or something. Our small town isn’t likely to catch onto the trend anytime soon either. Yoga and CrossFit are still the big deals here.

• yirara
    Options
    I'd love to do Parkour, but you know....on low things. LOL

Why not? I'm somewhat scared of heights. Just do what you're comfortable with.
  • yirara
    Options
    shepnic72 wrote: »
    Yes this is awesome!!! And YES parkour def counts! My son is big into parkour 😀
    Thanks for the tip in using plow pose to help get my hips over my head. This is one of the things i struggle hard with and climbing too!!! UGH why is it so hard to get. I teach pole beginner and advanced ... i can teach my students anything but dam if my brain cant figure out this climbing thing.

Currently i am in recovery mode from a fall from the hammock that i didnt tieboff properly and it dropped me right out onto the floor. I am mostly self taught for pole but have a friend who has been teaching my lyra and hammock. I love lyra dabble in hammock.

Thanks a lot! I do notice that I lack strength for it. Doing different dangly things for an hour is very tough for me. But I'm also doing some extra exercises, preparing for more hangs, things like L-sit, handstand, etc. Still far from getting anywhere though.
  • TiisTitanium
    TiisTitanium Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Nice to see all the aerialist peeps chiming in. I wish more people would get into it as not only is a great way to exercise, you make awesome friends which is sometimes difficult to achieve in other fitness environments.

Plow was exactly the move I was trying to describe -I am highly technical/helpful in my descriptions..

The only downside (aside from being highly addictive and then the classes take all your spare money) is that it does tend to create big shoulders/lats which sometimes is not compatible with women's clothing.

• yirara
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    lol @TiisTitanium i already had big shoulders and upper arms so nothing new for me :wink:

this thread reminded me of this
    ehvis2r25tom.png

i couldn't touch my toes when i started

Love this! Yep, since doing parkour my upper body strength has improved. Mind you, the last class was not what I was expecting. The day before I'd done core workouts because I thought parkour would mostly be jumping and dangling again. Turned out it was 90 minutes of balancing, with throwing balls, and carrying weight disks, an olympic bar or car tires. :D My core wasn't quite convinced by that. It was good fun though.