Cottage Cheese

Options
Hi folks :smile:

I've been thinking of trying cottage cheese recently and have seen some flavoured versions - like cheese and chives, black pepper and sweet chilli - which I expected. However, I also saw some versions like cottage cheese with pineapple and with apple and sultana. Has anyone ever tried these and if so were they nice?

I've heard cottage cheese is so versatile - like it can be eaten with crackers or with fruit and such and thought it was definitely worth trying.

Replies

• trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    personally i love the stuff, esp with chives, but the pineapple one isn't bad and i've mixed it with chopped dried fruit or herbs myself before for a bit of flavour :)
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    With pineapple it is so tasty. Definitely try it. Not keen on the chives version.

I'm considering trying plain cottage cheese and adding cocoa/hot chocolate powder. Not sure whether it'll be nice or not although I do like chocolate mousse.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I see you're in Scotland... Tesco's pineapple one is the cheapest (by about 40p!) for pineapple flavour. Their plain version is the same price as Asda.

Amusingly (for me), I support Forfar Athletic. I long to hear Forfar beat Fife 5-4. ;) "Forfar Five... Fife Four" :laugh:
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    VincitQuiSeVincit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Where are you from?
    My family is Russian, so I know Europeans tend to combine cottage cheese with savory flavors, whereas in America it's typically paired with sweet
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese, as long as it's the 4% milk fat kind. I like it with a bit of pepper in it, or on a salad, or with pineapple or pears or peaches. The salty and sweet combo is fabulous to me.
  • kem05
    kem05 Posts: 97
    Options
    I LOVE cottage cheese - the creamed version. A few more calories but the taste is much better. I love it on cruskits with sliced tomato and salt and pepper. YUM!
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone :smile:

Yeah, Forfar born and bred I am :smile:
    Not a big footie fan but heard forfar Athletic beat Rangers last weekend too:tongue:

I see Tesco have an offer of 2 300g tubs for £2 - one cheese onion chives and one pineapple so will get both to try them. They also have a snackpot of cheese and crackers - one sweet chilli and one pineapple so might give one of those a try for lunch sometime. Always up for trying new things:smile:
  • loricshields47
    loricshields47 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese as a bed time snack. Slow releasing casien protein so it keeps you full til morning and helps with muscle repair after a workout. I add what ever fresh fruit is available or use canned mandarin oranges (favorite!) This way I have lots of choices...never tried anything other than fruit.
    ~so go ahead and try it ...sounds like the flavour options are only limited by a lack of cullinary imagination! :)
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    What's this I hear about "pairing"? I like cottage cheese so much I eat it by itself. Out of the container. :X
  • janecarol61
    janecarol61 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I love it with sliced bananas then drizzled with honey!
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I love it with sliced bananas then drizzled with honey!

Oooh, I like the sound of that...love bananas and love honey - cheese would add a bit of protein, right?
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I usually just buy the plain stuff, and then toss it on other stuff. I had cottage cheese and peach slices for breakfast this morning, with crushed walnuts sprinkled on top. It was so freaking good I almost died.
  • tlab827
    tlab827 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese! I eat the plain kind on triscuits, it's yummy!
  • CubanSammich
    Options
    I eat it because its pure protein and you can purchase the zero fat kind. I just sprikle some splenda on it mix it, and I swear it tastes like crustless cheesecake
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I like it with jalepenos and tomatoes, with fresh ground pepper
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    it's great with most fruit - strawberries, cantaloupe, pineapple, watermelon - and you can add cinnamon/vanilla/sweetener too and it's like ice cream. i wouldn't bother shelling out big bucks for the flavored versions; just get a big tub of plain and then flavor it however you want.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I love it with diced gherkins stirred in or a teaspoon full of strawberry jam (tastes like a dessert!)
  • TangledUp_InBlue
    TangledUp_InBlue Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I prefer it with sunflower seeds, garlic salt, and balck pepper. Never liked the sweet combinations!
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    With pineapple it is so tasty. Definitely try it. Not keen on the chives version.

I'm considering trying plain cottage cheese and adding cocoa/hot chocolate powder. Not sure whether it'll be nice or not although I do like chocolate mousse.

I add cocoa/sweetener to my cottage cheese and then whip it in a small blender. It's delicious if you like that sort of thing.
  • DreaMuffin
    DreaMuffin Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    i put a tbsp or 2 in my eggs for breakfast. chop up some spinach or kale and mushrooms - 1 egg, 2 egg whites and voila! protein packed omelette that keeps me going till lunch.