Tea Calories?

Options
I may be overthinking this and if so it is okay to say that.

I am 5 4 starting weight 254

I have my diary set to 1 pound a week which puts me at 1640 calories. In 11 weeks I have discarded 16 pounds so 1.4 pounds a week on average.

I am weighing and measuring my food. I know I am far from perfect but am trying to tweak some of what I am eating/drinking.

I love my Chai tea lattes and in the hotter months get them iced from a local coffee shop to the tune of 242 calories. I do fit these into my daily calorie budget.

But I have loose leaf tea at home and I could make them at home and save the money. I know my unsweetened almond milk is 30 calories for 1 cup.

My question is how many calories for the tea? What about my teas that have small pieces of dehydrated fruit?

I do not add sugar to my teas, just almond milk to the Chai.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Tea with no additions is a few calories.... I don't bother logging. If your tea has fruit bits added it may have sugar - I find there's generally ingredients and a nutrition panel on the label if this is the case.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Tea itself has very few calories, enough to qualify as 0 on food labels (which happens if it's under 5 calories per serving). You can check the box of the fruit tea or search the database for that particular brand to see how much it has.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I don’t log plain tea with nothing added. Calorie estimates I’ve seen are 0-2 calories per cup.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Some companies have nutritional info on their websites.

Bigelow English Breakfast Tea shows zero calories. Due to US labeling laws, that could be anywhere from 0-4 calories. If you have quite a few bags per day, you might want to quick add 20 calories or so.

As for teas with bits of fruit, I would guess they'd have a couple more calories per bag.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Tea itself is so low it's not worth logging. However, I recently got tripped up on the milk (rookie mistake) I hadn't been logging the milk!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    I don't take anything in my tea, and because it has practically no calories, I don't log it.

Speaking of which ... I'm making myself a cup of tea now.
    43501 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    txmaryk99 wrote: »
    snip

Tea itself (as everyone here has stated) is basically non-caloric. You only have to account for whatever you're adding to it. Should also be worth saying that coffee (pure with nothing added) is virtually non-caloric too.

If you add sugar, log how many teaspoons. Non-caloric sweeteners (i.e. stevia, equal) are non-caloric and don't need to be tracked.

If you add milk (even milk substitutes like almond or soy), measure out the milk in a measuring cup and then log it in your food diary by ml. You really only have to do this once or twice to figure out how much you're adding, to be honest.

I top my morning espresso with full cream milk. In my food diary, it's logged as 40ml of full milk.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Tea with nothing added I wouldn't bother to log calories. I suppose you could log 5-10 calories.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I have a few teas from a place called "David's tea' that have pieces of fruit in them and the nutrition facts on their website list anywhere from 10-15 calories per 8oz cup. Here is a link to a tea I have with pieces of peach in it. If you go under the ingredients tab you can view the nutrition info. https://www.davidstea.com/us_en/tea/just-peachy/10436US01VAR0016991.html?cgid=tea#start=12

You may be able to find something similar to what you have on their site, they offer quite a variety!