Recommended device for tracking calories burned?

Options
I’ve always entered my exercise calories manually on MFP but I’d like to try a tracker. I know some of them mainly count steps, but my exercise profile is pretty wide-ranging. I walk and run, I lift free weights some days, and sometimes I’ll do a program like Insanity. Does anyone have one to recommend that can take care of all of those with reasonable accuracy?

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I love my FitBit Ionic. Bonus that it syncs directly with MFP so I don't have to do anything manually.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit, I find it's bang on against my observed TDEE. I want to upgrade to the Versa next sale!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I had a FitBit One and didn't miss it much when I lost it. Went back to using the MFP database entries.

Where I miss my FB the most is tracking sleep. "Oh, THAT'S why I feel poorly."
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Exercise calorie burns are estimates. Some devices estimate more accurately than others for some people/activities, but they're all estimates.

I haven't seen a reason to buy a separate device when I already have a phone that will do the things I want. I use Runkeeper for running/walking/hiking. Anything else I manually enter into MFP. I don't know how accurate this all is, but I'm maintaining successfully, so it's accomplishing what I want it to do.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I walk and run

For walking a step counter of somekind might help; Garmin, FitBit, Google Fit on your phone

For running a GPS would be better, either a Garmin Forerunner or a phone app. Personally I wouldn't touch a FitBit, they're bottom end technology.
    I lift free weights some days, and sometimes I’ll do a program like Insanity.

There is nothing on the market that'll give you a reliable measure of that.

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Another who was happy and successful at losing then maintaining using just the MFP estimates then comparing with personal data.

Cheers, h.