Leg workout without equipment??

Id rlly like to shed fat on my legs so does anyone know any good exercises? x

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    To shed fat on your legs? There areno exercises specifically that could do that otherwise nobody would have fat legs.

Eat in a deficit while stimulating the muscles with a useful intensity/volume under good programming would help retain muscle while losing fat on your legs at some point.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    You can't pick where you lose weight, but lunges and squats are going to be your best bodyweight exercises for the legs. There are all kinds of variations, so you have options.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Fat is "shed" through a calorie deficit. There are many body weight leg routines on the web. Do a search. Body weight: front lunges, back lunges, side lunges, squats, step ups, stair climbing et. al. FitnessBlender.com has several body weight routines.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    Strong curves is a good lower body workout and there is a body weight version of the program. That being said it won't "shed fat" from your legs, you need to burn more calories than you eat for you to lose fat.
  • jls1leather
    jls1leather Posts: 68 Member
    While it's true you can't "shed fat" from a particular area (except surgery), it's ALSO true that by working this muscles you can alter the he composition of it. Meaning if you build and tone muscle in the thighs, then they would be firmer and less PERCENT fat even without actual weight loss.
    I'd recommend walking, stairs, knee lifts, and squats (including squat jumps).
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Since I can't go to the gym right now, I'm doing lots of lunges and plyos, squats with dumbbells, plies, pistol squats...and a lot of cardio. If you aren't in a deficit, you can't "burn the fat", but the exercises can strengthen your legs.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Since I can't go to the gym right now, I'm doing lots of lunges and plyos, squats with dumbbells, plies, pistol squats...and a lot of cardio. If you aren't in a deficit, you can't "burn the fat", but the exercises can strengthen your legs.

This with the key bit being the calorie deficit.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I think I would recommend -- ignoring the calorie deficit part of the equation and focusing just on the exercise -- getting out and walking every day. When that gets easy, try running a bit. Not too fast, not too far, at first. Gradually -- over months -- increase the distance and speed.
    Then, find something physically active that you really like to do: Tennis, going to the gym, a spin class, roller skating, hiking, ping pong, and make a habit out of that.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited July 2018
    While it's true you can't "shed fat" from a particular area (except surgery), it's ALSO true that by working this muscles you can alter the he composition of it. Meaning if you build and tone muscle in the thighs, then they would be firmer and less PERCENT fat even without actual weight loss.

You don't "tone" muscles, there is no such thing. "Tone" is increased muscular definition as a result of losing body fat - which, as has been stated several times, comes via caloric deficit. Here's a great read about "toning": https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/muscle-tone/

You're also not going to build an appreciable amount of muscle while in a caloric deficit (and doing only bodyweight exercises), and it wouldn't change the amount of fat over the muscles anyway. Muscle is muscle and fat is fat, one doesn't change into the other. You don't change the composition of muscle itself, you change your overall body composition by losing the subcutaneous fat covering the muscles - which again, is done via caloric deficit.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Wow... maybe she didn't say anything about calorie deficit because she didn't know it was needed to lose fat...unless doing a recomp, which would be better done with a progressive lifting program.
  • AnvilHead
    edited July 2018
    AnvilHead wrote: »

You don't "tone" muscles, there is no such thing....also not going to build an appreciable amount of muscle while in a caloric deficit... Muscle is muscle and fat is fat...you change your overall body composition by losing the subcutaneous fat covering the muscles - which again, is done via caloric deficit.

Emily didn't say ANYTHING about calorie deficit. Specifically asked about "shed fat" with some 'good exercises". Which is 'tone".
    Squirrels aren't bunnies. But anybody can see that if you add bunnies to a group of squirrels and bunnies, the result is a group that is "more bunny", even though you haven't lost any squirrels.
    Another? Bowl of apples and oranges - since it's clear apples are not oranges. Add apples to the bowl, and you change the COMPOSITION,even though you haven't lost oranges.
    I lift weights. But I do it because it's an exercise I enjoy which leads to better fitness. I don't lift weights to be better at lifting weights. Handball is far better exercise, but there isn't always someone else there to play...

She didn't say anything about calorie deficit because she (like many, many people) don't understand that calorie deficit is what creates fat loss. The only way you "shed fat" with some "good exercise" is if you end up consuming less calories than you expend. "Toning" is a worthless industry buzzword with no actual meaning (which was explained in the link, which you obviously didn't read). You can gain muscle (hypertrophy) or lose muscle (atrophy) - you can't "tone" muscle. "Toning" is a silly concept the diet/fitness industry promotes in order to sell books, supplements and workout programs - none of which work for the stated purpose.

I won't even bother addressing the rest of your post, as it's such a profound misunderstanding of how things work that it's not worth the effort. For anybody who's interested, reading this may help explain how it actually works and why what you're saying is completely incorrect: https://bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/reducing-body-fat-percentage-by-gaining-muscle-qa.html/

The correct answer for the OP remains that fat loss is attained through calorie deficit (however you attain it), and there's no such thing as spot reduction - you can't choose where you lose the fat from. Exercise will help strengthen her leg muscles, but they won't selectively remove fat from her legs.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    walking did nothing for "firming" up my legs. a calorie deficit and weight lifting made them look better than they did because I lost excess fat on them as well as in other places. I still have some fat on them and I do a lot of walking always have.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Wow... maybe she didn't say anything about calorie deficit because she didn't know it was needed to lose fat...unless doing a recomp, which would be better done with a progressive lifting program.

Maybe she didn't know. Or maybe she doesn't WANT to have a 'deficit'. Whatever the reason.

She asked specifically about shedding fat from her legs. And people answered: a calorie deficit. Building more muscle in her legs isn't going to make the fat magically disappear - they'd still be fat, just with more muscle underneath the fat.
  • jls1leather
    jls1leather Posts: 68 Member
    Are we helping Emily, or just obsessed with appearing to be "right"?
    Wait, did I already mention not bothering to defend ...
  • AnvilHead
    Providing correct information is helpful. Perpetuating fitness industry woo is not.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member

You don't "tone" muscles, there is no such thing. "Tone" is increased muscular definition as a result of losing body fat - which, as has been stated several times, comes via caloric deficit. Here's a great read about "toning": https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/muscle-tone/

You're also not going to build an appreciable amount of muscle while in a caloric deficit (and doing only bodyweight exercises), and it wouldn't change the amount of fat over the muscles anyway. Muscle is muscle and fat is fat, one doesn't change into the other. You don't change the composition of muscle itself, you change your overall body composition by losing the subcutaneous fat covering the muscles - which again, is done via caloric deficit.

i never understand this forums obsession with the word "tone" The word tone does exist, and if you exercise a muscle it will get firm and toned. Everyone here says toning means shedding body fat to reveal muscle, but shedding body fat only reveals whatever is under the fat, and that can be boney joints , scrawny muscles tendons or whatever it is you got going on under your layer of fat. If you want to see nice rounded firm muscles (ie toned) you gotta lift some weights. Too many people on this site get caught up on semantics. Using the word toned in context does have meaning and 99% of the people on this site know what someone is talking about when they say toned . Here is the webster defninition: verb 1.give greater strength or firmness to (the body or a part of it). Its not some buzz word made up by the fitness world. And toning is not just losing body fat if that were the case aneroxic people would be toned, and they are not toned. I dont care what the fitness bloggers publish and what they say, that means nothing to me. The normal world knows what toning means when used in the context of having a fit looking body.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    SonyaCele wrote: »

i never understand this forums obsession with the word "tone" The word tone does exist, and if you exercise a muscle it will get firm and toned. Everyone here says toning means shedding body fat to reveal muscle, but shedding body fat only reveals whatever is under the fat, and that can be boney joints , scrawny muscles tendons or whatever it is you got going on under your layer of fat. If you want to see nice rounded firm muscles (ie toned) you gotta lift some weights. Too many people on this site get caught up on semantics. Using the word toned in context does have meaning and 99% of the people on this site know what someone is talking about when they say toned . Here is the webster defninition: verb 1.give greater strength or firmness to (the body or a part of it). Its not some buzz word made up by the fitness world. And toning is not just losing body fat if that were the case aneroxic people would be toned, and they are not toned. I dont care what the fitness bloggers publish and what they say, that means nothing to me. The normal world knows what toning means when used in the context of having a fit looking body.

you cant tone a muscle though and your dont firm muscle. it means low fat and muscle showing underneath. anorexics lose muscle mass so of course they wouldnt have a toned look. you have to have low fat and a decent amount of muscle mass to get a "toned" look. look up how to tone muscle or get firm muscles and most places will tell you to build muscle and lose fat to get that look. any site or magazine that tells you how to tone your muscle is usually trying to sell either a program or books or something. you can get a toned look but you cant tone the muscles themselves
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Are we helping Emily, or just obsessed with appearing to be "right"?
    Wait, did I already mention not bothering to defend ...

Correct information is always helpful.
  • ritzvin

the problem is that a lot of people actually don't understand it. It's a very common misconception that you can work out a body part in order to spot reduce it (thus all the people doing sit-ups ad nauseum thinking it will get rid of their fat stomach rather than because they want muscle there). And muscle definition will not be visible until enough of the fat is gone. On the contrary, it may be preferable to spend more effort on building muscle in the places you aren't hoping to shed fat, to keep from having those areas looking scrawny by the time you lose the extra 'fluff' in the problem areas.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    edited July 2018

I agree that sometimes people in this forum get hung up on semantics. And I think we all know that when someone says they want to looked "toned", the way to achieve that is more muscle and less fat. However, a lot of people think you can just "tone" your muscles without increasing their size and that is what doesn't exist...
  • AnvilHead
    edited July 2018
    i never understand this forums obsession with the word "tone" The word tone does exist, and if you exercise a muscle it will get firm and toned. Everyone here says toning means shedding body fat to reveal muscle, but shedding body fat only reveals whatever is under the fat, and that can be boney joints , scrawny muscles tendons or whatever it is you got going on under your layer of fat. If you want to see nice rounded firm muscles (ie toned) you gotta lift some weights....

But it's not "semantics", because there is no such thing as "toning" or "firming" a muscle. Muscles grow or shrink, they do not become "toned" or "firm". It's not semantics, it's nonsense.

"Getting toned", in the general vernacular, means building muscles and losing bodyfat. And of course, a classic "toned" physique will come from having enough muscle mass in the first place (along with low bodyfat). The muscles feel "firmer" because they're not covered by fat, and increased muscular definition comes from not having the fat covering them. You can lift all the weights you want to and become very strong - but if you don't get rid of the bodyfat covering those muscles, you'll still have no shape and your muscles won't appear "firm" or "toned". Compare a heavyweight powerlifter to a heavyweight bodybuilder (both of who, obviously, lift weights) and tell me which one looks "toned":

Powerlifter:
    kmzs2jumuwu8.jpg

Bodybuilder:
    dkovano3kuhk.jpg

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    the top picture is not a powerlifter, she's an oly lifter. Semantics.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    I think the reason so many people get confused about spot reducing, is because of the destinction between body building and powerlifting. Lets me be clear, I agree you cannot spot reduce fat, this is known. There shall be no debate. You can however change the shape of your body locally, thru hypertrophy. This is the entire sport of body building. This is also why many newbies plateau, get frustrated, and quit. They see the initial effects of hypertrophy, but eventually this stalls because bf% is too high to make any further changes visible. Many people especially females want to tone up, but not get bigger. This is not a thing!
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    As for the OP. Leg workouts without equipment. Squats, Plie Squats, Frog Jumps, bulgarian split squats, box step ups, pistol squats, single leg deadlift, Warrior 3 squats.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    As for the OP. Leg workouts without equipment. Squats, Plie Squats, Frog Jumps, bulgarian split squats, box step ups, pistol squats, single leg deadlift, Warrior 3 squats.

Thanks, I thought we had forgotten the initial question to this thread: "Leg workout without equipment??"

• ritzvin
    pondee629 wrote: »

Thanks, I thought we had forgotten the initial question to this thread: "Leg workout without equipment??"

That was the title of the thread, but not the actual question in her OP. "Id rlly like to shed fat on my legs so does anyone know any good exercises? x" We explained that spot reduction (what she is asking for) isn't possible, and answered her actual question of how to shed the fat on her legs. It didn't sound like she's looking to add extra girth to her legs in the form of muscles underneath the fat she's trying to shed. (not that leg muscles aren't great, but building leg muscle isn't what she was actually asking for).