How often should I work out?

Options
I worked out yesterday for the first time and it went really well, but today I hurt...a lot. My question is should I work out again today or should I wait till I don't hurt so much? Also, how often should I work out in a week? I'm not doing anything crazy hard just the Biggest Loser Cardio workout, but I want to make sure I don't over do it and hurt my self worse. What should I do?

Replies

• TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    There has been some debate about this, but here is what I have been told.

Your muscle hurts cause it is rebuilding and has acid(or some other natural chemical) in it working out helps to stretch the muscle and release those chemicals that are making it hurt. if nothing else do really good streches and drink LOTS of water

You could also work on other areas like if you did cardio and its your legs that are hurting today, do abs and arms today

how much you work out is entirely up to you I work out 1-2 hours a day 5-6 days a week. most weeks..give or take a little.
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    Starting out slowly instead of jumping in to 6 days a week will save you from injury. A good rule of thumb is not to work the same area of your body every day (ex: Did legs yesterday? Don't work them today)

You are sore due to your muscle fibers actually being ripped apart and then being put back together and also MAYBE some lactic acid... this is a good thing! You are getting stronger. :)

Gradually working up to more and more is my advice. But if you are REALLY sore, some light cardio and stretching will do you wonders today!! :)
  • babitina
    babitina Posts: 1
    Options
    I too do the Biggest Loser workout dvds. I normally alternate them, I will do the Cardio Max, and then the next day do the Power Sculpt. Its better to alternate your workouts that way your not working the same thing everyday or it probably will continue to hurt. Its better to change up your workouts, I think, that way your working different areas/muscles of the body.

I normally workout for about an hour a day, 5-6 days a week, depending on my schedule.

Just take it slow, at first, go at your own pace, see what works for you and your body. Good Luck!