Low calorie desserts

Options
emsem90
emsem90 Posts: 1 Member
Desserts are definitely my weakness, and I need to find something sweet--but still low calorie--so I don't blow the diet 😂 my stomach does not tolerate fake sugars, but other than that I am open to all recipe suggestions!!

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    High moisture or high air desserts that are naturally low to moderate in fat tend to be lower in calories even in full sugar variations. Things like:
    Meringue
    Poached fruits that go light on the butter
    All kinds of puddings
    Custard
    Angel food cake
    Certain kinds of parfait
    Yogurt desserts
    Chocolate dipped fruits
    Jello
    Frozen desserts that aren't cream-based like popsicles, frozen yogurt, sorbet, granita..etc.

You can make many of these yourself. I had a pretty hefty portion of semolina pudding made with skim milk the other day without breaking the calorie bank, and a full sugar potato starch and fruit-based dessert called "kissel" that was also low in calories because it's naturally low fat and high moisture.

You could experiment with certain things that are high in calories but you find a small portion mentally satisfying. Some people find a single square of dark chocolate is enough to satisfy them. I eat a 100 calorie KitKat and don't feel anxious for more, it's just enough. I also find a couple of caramel coffee hard candies 15 calories each more than enough. This varies from person to person, so try and see what does it for you.

There are also unconventional diet desserts and "dessert-like" things you can do with food. Others may be more helpful with those.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Berries of your choice and a little whole cream.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Here is something I just made:
    nf7r7g1tl3g0.jpg
    It's called kompot, a beverage made by boiling fruits in water with sugar. I usually make it whenever we have fruits that aren't looking so fresh but aren't spoiled, that way we don't waste them. I poured some of it into popsicle molds to freeze. It's about 60 calories a piece.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I found a box of chocolate pound cake slices in the freezer, Sara Lee, about 150 cals each I think. I do one of those and a serving or two of Halo Top. If I have a spare 100 cals I'll also throw on some crumbled up cookies.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Oh! Also look for Kozy Shack "eat well" puddings - I found rice pudding and tapioca at 90 cals, no extra sugar, I find them really good. Throw some blueberries in there and you have a good dessert.
  • lleesabb
    lleesabb Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Blue bunny has small ice cream cones 140 calories low sodium, fat , sugar
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    lleesabb wrote: »
    Blue bunny has small ice cream cones 140 calories low sodium, fat , sugar

I tried those but ended up eating the whole box in two days. I’m better off with a small amount of dark chocolate kept in the fridge. :D

• admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    I love making yogurt bowls with Greek yogurt and some fruit
  • Dakase83
    Dakase83 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    If you have a blender and you like bananas you can make 'nice cream'!

Chop up a very ripe banana (the riper the banana, the sweeter the dessert will be) and freeze for a few hours. Then blend the bananas with a little milk and it becomes just like the consistency of ice cream. You can add anything you want to it to flavour it how you like but lower calorie options would be more fruit, cinnamon, vanilla extract, cocoa powder, maybe even a couple of squares of melted dark chocolate.

My favourite way to enjoy it at the moment is to add a cup of soy milk when blending and enjoy it as a banana milkshake. Sometimes I add some peanut butter if I have the calories to spare.

MFP lists a medium banana as 105 calories so you can easily whip something up for under 150-200 calories.

One of my favorites to satisfy a sweet craving!
  • kaitleigh89
    kaitleigh89 Posts: 6 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    My new favorite low calorie dessert is a fiber one chocolate brownie warmed up in the microwave for a few seconds and topped with a serving of chocolate pb2 and reddi whip. 155 calories😊
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,661 Member
    Options
    This recipe for chocolate sorbet contains quite a lot of sugar but virtually no fat. I thought it was divine.

I used 10% less sugar than called for and the texture was fine in that it didn't freeze too solid. If you wanted to replace some of the sugar with another sweetener you would probably need to include alcohol, such as grand marnier to prevent it from freezing too hard. I used a granita technique, (break down ice particles with a fork every 30 minutes) which worked fine if you don't have an ice cream maker. If you don't want to do that because you are not pottering about the kitchen, letting it freeze solid and then blitzing in a food processor or blender and re-freezing should work too.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/252618/chocolate-sorbet

• moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    emsem90 wrote: »
    Desserts are definitely my weakness, and I need to find something sweet--but still low calorie--so I don't blow the diet 😂 my stomach does not tolerate fake sugars, but other than that I am open to all recipe suggestions!!

Mug cakes ftw
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Yummy ideas!!!!!
  • ratfuk
    ratfuk Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    100g of Greek yoghurt and 150 grams of frozen mixed Berry’s.
  • camelion101
    camelion101 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I make dark chocolate Kodiak pancakes! All you do is mix 1/2 cup of the pancake mix and 1/2 cup of water and then I use non stick spray (0calories). They have real chocolate chips in it and a half cup is only 190 calories and makes about 4 pancakes so you can’t go wrong! If you want more flavor you can always add a little bit of chocolate jello mix (sugar free) or you can add some lite cool whip or some fresh raspberries. They also have 12 g of protein. They’re definitely my new favorite go to snack!
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 978 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    - Mousse
    - Jelly (No added sugar)
    - "plain" vanilla ice creams (I was surprised to learn that I could have two scoops was only about 80g and that made it under 100kcals)
    - Creme caramel
    - Meringue
    - Creme fraiche
    - "smoothie" styled icecreams

Actually you can also make a fairly decent pavlova or eaton mess using squirty cream and creme fraiche instead of normal whipped cream.
  • irue1545
    irue1545 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    One can crushed pineapple in its own juice. Then mix in one sugar free pudding box, any flavor. And fold in sugar free cool whip.