Pesto Pasta Vegetable Additions

Options
SandSeaSkySoul
SandSeaSkySoul Posts: 212 Member
I like to bulk my pastas with vegetables, so that they're filling but not calorie dense! I use broccoli crowns with macaroni & cheese, peas with alfredo, etcetera but what do you believe's tasty, to use with pesto?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I've used cauliflower and enjoyed it.
  • SandSeaSkySoul
    Options
    I've used cauliflower and enjoyed it.

Thank you!
  • SandSeaSkySoul
    Options

This' great, thank you! I'd just use the squash though because it isn't intensely flavorful & thus won't overpower the mild flavor, of the pesto! Since I am just seeking volume, not extra flavor!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    most pesto i've had isn't exactly mild - but I also make my own - its also higher in fat (because it has an olive oil base) so something to be aware of
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    I think pasta with pesto, broccoli, and peas is nice, but I would also consider string beans and grape tomatoes. I like toasted, chopped walnuts on top too.

I think pasta with pesto, potatoes, and green beans is an Italian classic. I think artichoke hearts would be good too!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    SaraKim17 wrote: »
    I think pasta with pesto, broccoli, and peas is nice, but I would also consider string beans and grape tomatoes. I like toasted, chopped walnuts on top too.

I think pasta with pesto, potatoes, and green beans is an Italian classic. I think artichoke hearts would be good too!

Oh, yeah. My sister makes roasted green beans and mixes them with pesto. It's so good!
  • SandSeaSkySoul
    Options
    most pesto i've had isn't exactly mild - but I also make my own - its also higher in fat (because it has an olive oil base) so something to be aware of

I'd love to make my own but with my disability, I just attempt to make life as easy as plausible. So I use Prego.
  • SandSeaSkySoul
    edited July 2018
    Options
    SaraKim17 wrote: »

Thank you! I like the string bean idea because all I use that for's green bean casserole! I never thought to use nuts, although calorie dense they'd make a nice garnishing! I'd use almonds though instead, since they're less flavorful than walnuts to me!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,628 Member
    Options
    I usually use a half and half mixture of tagliatelle and spiralied vegetables with pesto. Courgette or butternut squash mostly.
  • Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Lately, I seem to start whatever I'm cooking with a mirepoix. Adds a good bit of bulk to the meal without adding too many calories. Especially all that celery.
  • SandSeaSkySoul
    edited July 2018
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    I usually use a half and half mixture of tagliatelle and spiralied vegetables with pesto. Courgette or butternut squash mostly.

I've been planning to purchase something, to spiral vegetables with! Thank you!
  • skylergilchrist
    skylergilchrist Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like to bulk my pastas with vegetables, so that they're filling but not calorie dense! I use broccoli crowns with macaroni & cheese, peas with alfredo, etcetera but what do you believe's tasty, to use with pesto?

• skylergilchrist
    skylergilchrist Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I make pesto pasta all the time with veggies! my favorite is the pesto pasta with asparagus && sun dried tomatoes- so yummy!
  • georgieamber2
    georgieamber2 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Maybe try making your own pesto as a lot of shop brought ones are super high in calories. ❤️