Macro advice - help me figure out my fat/protein/carbs

Options
I don't know oodles about macros but I understand they can be different for people with a variety of different goals. I'm trying to get a feel for some general healthy goals for myself.

CICO for weight loss makes sense but if I didn't nudge myself to eat more protein I can see myself eating my daily allowance of calories in just chocolate bars. Honestly, the main reason I started using MFP a year ago was because I was mostly eating sweets. Even if I cut back on the sweets, I'd like to try to have some macros goals to aim for- maybe it will make me feel more satisfied after each meal, or maybe I'll simply feel healthier by getting what my body needs. I don't really know. When I look online, I see a wide range of suggestions for macros and I don't know what is a good guide to follow.

I am maintaining my current weight and I have a pretty sedentary lifestyle (desk job and no workout at the moment). I'm 120lbs, 5'5" and 34 years old. For the past few months I've set my MFP goal for less than 100 grams of carbs, more than 60 grams of fat and more than 115 grams of protein a day. I'm often way over for carbs and way under on fat. I don't know if I should adjust this or if I would feel better if I purposely tried to get more fat and less carbs.

Suggestions? Thank you in advance!

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    basic recommendation for protein to start off is:
    .6-.8g protein per body weight (120*.6 - 120*.8 = 72-96g)

fat - .3-.6g per body weight - 36g-72g

carbs - fill in the remainder of your calories
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I started with MFP defaults for fat and protein and eventually wound up making some changes as I noticed that I felt better including more fat in my diet.

Is there a specific reason you think you'd feel better with less carbohydrate and more fat? If so, there's no harm in adjusting it and see if you do, in fact, feel better trying that.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    i'll admit that i really have to focus on getting fat in my diet - i naturally lean towards carb, low fat foods - like starches - but i started adding cream cheese to rice or veggies to give it some omph
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

This is pretty much what I do. I'm usually somewhere in the middle range for protein and on the lower end for dietary fat
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

This. At the end of the day once you hit your minimums for protein and fat, you can adjust the rest of your intake to suit your needs and preferences.

If you want more explanation about macros and setting them, here is a great thread that explains it

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

This is pretty much what I do. I'm usually somewhere in the middle range for protein and on the lower end for dietary fat

me too - admittedly i keep my protein high because i find it more satiating - closer to .9g/lb of body weight but fat is .4g