Calorie intake?

Options
So I’m 5’1, my starting weight was 172lbs, I am down to 143lbs in just 4months. Now I intake 1,200 calories a day now to lose about 25lbs before January. Should I consume more calories and still make the weight loss? I do about 10,000+ steps a day and lifts weight. What do you think my calorie intake should be ? Also should I intake carbs (wheat bread, oatmeal) ?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Pick 1 or 0.5 pound per week, and you get an amount of calories to lose weight at a good rate. You decide whether to stick to it, and what to eat.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Tazzie0208 wrote: »
    I just found out that carbs cutting is very important when losing weight. I'm also on 1200 cal/day but my doctor told me to lower my carbs to 25gr/day and lower my caloric intake to less than 1k. I do at least 8k steps/day and workout 4 times per week. I'm slowly considering keto habits... but will go slowly like i said. So I re edited my carbs on MFP and will go from there. Send me a FR and we can help each other! :)

Wow, that calorie level is extreme and potentially dangerous. You should definitely not be suggesting that to random people and hopefully you will be getting checked out by your doctor frequently to avoid malnutrition.

OP, make sure your correct weight is entered and choose a goal of no more than 1 lb per week. With only 25 lbs left to go, anything more will be aggressive and too low calorie wise. You should also make sure your activity level is correct. 1200 is the absolute minimum calorie goal.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1''. This isn't my first try, but when I was in the low 140's the first time, that's about where I switched from 1lb per week to 1/2lb. Switching to a slower rate gave me about 1,450 calories to work with, sedentary, so if you want to lose 1lb a week, 1,200 is probably the best option (while eating back your exercise calories, so you should eat more when you exercise). There's not a lot of wiggle room when we're this short between 1,200 and our TDEE, so it's totally reasonable to go slower.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Tazzie0208 wrote: »
    I just found out that carbs cutting is very important when losing weight. I'm also on 1200 cal/day but my doctor told me to lower my carbs to 25gr/day and lower my caloric intake to less than 1k. I do at least 8k steps/day and workout 4 times per week. I'm slowly considering keto habits... but will go slowly like i said. So I re edited my carbs on MFP and will go from there. Send me a FR and we can help each other! :)

Yet another good example why not to get weight loss/nutritional advice from a doctor.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Ghxstzone wrote: »
    So I’m 5’1, my starting weight was 172lbs, I am down to 143lbs in just 4months. Now I intake 1,200 calories a day now to lose about 25lbs before January. Should I consume more calories and still make the weight loss? I do about 10,000+ steps a day and lifts weight. What do you think my calorie intake should be ? Also should I intake carbs (wheat bread, oatmeal) ?

What do you have your activity level set to? Because at 10,000+ steps/day and lifting weights as well - that's not sedentary, it's at least lightly active and more like active, based on my own experience with my FitBit.

Also, with 25 lbs to lose, aiming for no more than 1 lb/week for maybe 5-10 more pounds and then switching to 0.5 lb/week would be appropriate. Raising your activity level and making sure you've got the right rate of loss goal will likely set you at a higher calorie target than the 1200 you are at now.

For what it's worth, I'm 5'2 and started at about 153 lbs, I've lost ~35 lbs down to the same level you're aiming for eating b/w 1600-1900 cals total, my TDEE at 118 lbs is around 2100 currently. I average 12K steps/day and do light circuit training. It is possible to eat more and still lose, even for petite females.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Oh and carbs have no bearing on weight loss - that all comes from calories. Nothing wrong with bread, pasta, oatmeal - as long as you are tracking calories and ensuring you're in a calorie deficit you will continue to lose weight.