Vegetables: How do you make them exciting?

Options
khronicuk
khronicuk Posts: 14 Member
I'm at a plateau with boiling vegetables. I'm bored!

I don't not like vegetables but I want to know what more I could do with them.

Any foodies out there sprinkle some spice into the ratatouille?

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Yuck, boiled vegetables, haha!

I always steam, roast, or pan cook them! So much better. I love to pan cook them with some no calorie cooking spray until crisp and then add onion powder, hot sauce, garlic powder, italian seasoning, nosalt salt and a bit of sweetener like truvia is my favorite super low calorie way. Try it, it is delicious.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I can't remember the last time I boiled a vegetable. I very occasionally steam some, but that's rare and about as boring as I get.

Most are kind of stir fried, others roasted, sometimes grilled, cooked in to meals, etc etc... Usually with herbs and spices for extra flavour. Soups are good too. As are salads - often a mix of raw and cooked.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    i like raw.

however, there is a great local spice store that has fun blends. There is a "garlic bread" one that is fantastic on broccoli. So I use herbs and spices a lot.

I make a mini tomotoe, cuccumber and basil salad with salt and better. you can add cheese if you wnated (mozerrella or feta).

I make a low cal broccoli slaw.

This cabbage salad: http://holisticlifestyle.ca/index.php/recipes/item/410-red-cabbage-with-feta-and-mint
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Soups, stir fries, bubble 'n' squeak. Zoodles, adding them to bolognaise chopped finely, ditto for meatloaf. Also, try out some vegan/vegetarian recipes. I'm a meat eater, but these types of recipes do beautiful things with veges. Thug kitchen is my favourite.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i cook mine and then use some cream cheese to give some additional flavor
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Boiling veggies drains all the,flavor out of them. The flavor lost is in the water you throw.
    Steaming is the best way to cook them w/o losing their flavor. I do this in the microwave.

Beyond that, you can make veggies more flavorful by combining them w/othwr foods. Mixing steamed broccoli w/mac & cheese and some pepper flakes is one of my faves.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Stir fried with a nice garlicky Asian stir fry sauce or plain with some nutritional yeast sprinkled on at serving are two if my faves.

I also incorporate lots of veggies into casseroles-- think squash and mushroom enchiladas, veggie lasagna, ratatouille, etc.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I love vegetables, but no way I'd be interested in eating them boiled. My mom used to over-boil all vegetables when I was a kid, they usually tasted pretty terrible. Now I usually roast my veggies in the oven, I really like a bit of char as a pp mentioned. I usually will roast 3-5 different vegetables and a few cloves of garlic in the same pan and season based on mood, my SO really loves it best when I melt a little butter and drizzle that with some parmesan cheese over everything during the last 10ish minutes of roasting. A lower calorie option would be to use one of those butter flavored sprays, but I don't usually have any issues fitting the extra 50-60 calories into my day and real butter is <3 .

Stir-fry and grilled is also a great option, I usually use dry spice mixes for those methods. Once of my favorite summer meals is chopped potatoes, broccoli, asparagus, peppers, onion, mushroom, zucchini/eggplant, and vegetarian sausage medallions wrapped up on a tin-foil packet and cooked on the grill. It's so simple but is such a crowd pleaser at BBQs. I've even successfully prepped several packets with different protein options and taken them on camping trips with friends, they kept beautifully in the cooler and where so easy to just throw over the campfire.
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Once a week I make a batch of roasted peppers and onions to add to sandwiches, wraps, or even to have with leftover chicken. It's really easy. Preheat oven to 400F. Cut the peppers and onions into strips and today with a little Olive oil (just enough to coat but just barley) spread them on a baking sheet (I put foil on the baking sheets for easier cleanup) and pop then in the oven. Cook for 20 minutes and then give them a stir and let them go for another 20 minutes. Pull them out, sprinkle with some garlic and salt, and let them cool.

I also love doing sweet potato "fries". Oven again to 400F. Cut your sweet potato into steak fry sized pieces and try to make them all about the same size. Barley coat with olive oil. Spread on foil lined baking sheets and sprinkle with garlic, chili powder, and salt. Cook for an hour or until done (soft with almost burned edges), stirring/flipping halfway through.

Also, maybe try some new veggies. I had had sugar snap peas before and usually used them in store fry, but I started buying them again recently because they looked so good at the store. They are awesome too snack on our ad to salads. Or try a new mushroom and see if you can find an awesome new recipe to go with it. Good luck!!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I don't boil any veggies.

My rule is any vegetable that can handle being roasted should be roasted. Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, kale, whatever...if it's sturdy enough to take that high temperature, then toss it with some oil/cooking spray and spices and stick it in the oven.

A variety of spices and sauces is also a great thing to have. You can make veggies taste very different depending on how they're seasoned.

Since you mentioned ratatouille, I've recently been making an excellent low calorie stewed eggplant, like a very basic version of several different cultures' eggplant dishes. Cut an eggplant into chunks, put it in a small pot with a can of tomatoes, onion, garlic, and whatever spices you like (I recommend basil and oregano), and let simmer until the eggplant is as soft as you want it. You can add protein, serve over a grain, or eat as is. About 200 calories for the entire dish.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,199 Member
    Options
    For veggies that taste good in pseudo-Asian formulations, or really any mild-flavored vegetable, one of the things I like is a peanut sauce made with peanut butter powder (like PB2, but there are other brands), soy sauce, brown rice vinegar, and whatever other seasonings sound nice at the time (options: minced fresh garlic, chopped green onions, Szechuan peppers, minced fresh ginger, miso, chile sauce, a dash of sesame oil if you have the calories . . . . ).

Before adding the sauce, instead of boiling the veg, I'd either stir-fry the veg in a small amount of oil (starting with carmelizing some onions), or steam them, or stir-steam in a bit of broth.

Another option, if you like vinegar, is flavored vinegars (I start with plain vinegar and add seasonings of choice, with prepared mustard as one option to add (since one might not otherwise think of that as a seasoning)). different types of vinegar (red, balsamic, white wine, brown rice, etc.) have slightly different flavor profiles, and different ones may best complement different veggies.

In winter squash, a friend got me to try white miso: So tasty, plus a tiny bit of protein and (if you pay attention to what you're buying) some food-sourced probiotics. I like brown (hacho) miso broth on some veggies, too.

Salsa or sriracha or chile sauce are good on some veggies, if you like spice.

Chopped fresh herbs are amazing (grow your own if you have space for a garden or big pots).

Sprinkle veggies with a small amount of fresh-grated real parmesan cheese (not the fairly tasteless yellowish dry dust that comes in a shaker can). Half an ounce is a surprising physical volume, only about 55 calories, and adds 5g protein. (I buy a big hunk of parmesan, grate it all, and freeze the result. I'm sure that sacrifices a bit of flavor, but it's much, much tastier than powder, and equally convenient.)

Be aware that you need some fats in order to best absorb any fat-soluble vitamins that are in your veggies, so it's OK to be adding a weighed bit of olive oil in order to roast, peanut oil in order to stir-fry, or even cheese to add flavor.

Something like plain Greek yogurt can be seasoned and used as a quasi-creamy dressing for veggies, or a sour cream alternate. Avoid heating it, because it will separate, but it can be stirred into some things post-cooking, or certainly used as a topping.
  • mjrc2
    mjrc2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Yep, boiled veggies just make me sad. This is an awesome thread filled with good information, thank you @apullum I have an eggplant in the fridge and did not have a plan for it and now I do!
    I am a seasonal cook. I rarely cook in the summer and mostly eat salads and grilled foods. In the winter, all veggies get roasted or sauteed.
    My advice is experiment with spices, sauces, and technique. Eating should always be a pleasurable experience so if you are bored-- try new spices or a new way of cooking!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Frozen corn; nuke for a minute or two. Dress up with finely cubed red bell pepper and a teaspoon of butter.
    Frozen peas; nuke as above. Dress up with mint and slivers of almond.
    Broccoli; use a steamer basket. Nuke some Cheez Whiz with a teaspoon of sriracha and pour over top.
    Red onion, bell pepper, broccoli, peeled and cubed yams, and sliced carrots; cut in to same-sized pieces, put two tablespoons of olive oil in a large Ziploc container with minced garlic, Mrs. Dash and pepper. Add all the vegetables, toss like a maniac, then pour out over a cookie tray. Pour out on a 450 degree oven and watch closely, about fifteen minutes. Turnip is absolutely transformed to a different vegetable by using this roasting method. It becomes sweet.

Find a vegetable you have never tried before and google a recipe. Go wild.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    On the other hand, you could boil vegetables to make homemade vegetable broth for a special occasion.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    You can eat them raw with dip or hummus.

You can bake or grill them which makes most veggies more tasty.

I make Greek style veggies cooked with a bit of onion, white wine, tomatoes, olive oil and a sprinkle of feta on top. I have made green beans, peppers, and eggplant this way.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Bentos - this would be the most intense, labor intensive ones, but wow are they more exciting. :wink:
    I make less intense bentos, but they are quite fun and help make veggies a bit better.
    http://mentalfloss.com/article/66472/11-delightful-bento-artists-and-their-creations