Chocolate Milk?

Options
menjivas
menjivas Posts: 124 Member
I was at the gym this morning and a lady was telling me that drinking chocolate milk after a work out helps burn more calories. Is that true? Does anyone know about this?

Replies

• daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    GOD I HOPE THATS TRUE
  • KaeChelle
    KaeChelle Posts: 576
    Options
    I've never heard of it helping you burn more calories, but I've heard it's a good recovery drink after a workout, like a protein shake would be.
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    it sounds like a variation of eating/drinking recovery meal/drink with in 30-60 minutes of working out something preferrably high in protein.
  • bobball
    bobball Posts: 57
    Options
    Not really true no but you should eat afterwards to recover and I have heard it is a great recovery drink , though I don't like sugary foods so I don't.

Only one way to lose weight....consume less calories than you burn.
    Chocolate milk supposedly a good recovery drink, but help you burn calories more than other foods, I dont' think so. I could be wrong but common sense tells me a sugary drink like chocolate milk has a lot of empty calories.
  • doodlbug
    doodlbug Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/healthy-eating/superfoods/chocolate-milk-after-workout/

It looks like it might be a good choice for a recovery drink, not necessarily to burn more calories, but help repair muscles.
  • liztaegel
    liztaegel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Depends on your workout. If it's a high impact/endurance workout, absolutely. If not, then you're better off sticking with a small apple. Do remember to eat something, though. You deplete your muscles of their nutrients at least a little bit (if not a lot) with each workout, so it's important to replenish.

It's kind of true about "helping you burn more calories," but the theory isn't exclusive to chocolate milk. If you refuel your muscles after a workout, they will perform better throughout the rest of the day, thus burning calories more calories faster.

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/healthy-eating/superfoods/chocolate-milk-after-workout/

Or, your friend could be absolutely right. (Though I'm sure it's not a black/white thing)

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20100604/chocolate-milk-refuels-muscles-after-workout?src=RSS_PUBLIC
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    good anabolic benefits--you'll build muscle and lose fat.
  • dporter1183
    dporter1183 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I love chocolate milk.....I lived off that and orange juice when I was pregnant...both times.
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
  • kksam
    kksam Posts: 38
    Options
    On several morning news programs about a month ago, it was announced that after a workout a glass of chocolate milk is the best drink. It was said that its better than any other drink for recovery. This came from doctors on these programs. I'm going to ask my doctors when I see them next month. :drinker:
  • scarecrow41
    scarecrow41 Posts: 116
    Options
    No...it will not burn more calories.

Best recovery drink? I guess it depends on what your goals are, but the nature of the protein in milk (casein) doesn't lend itself to quick absorption...thus your muscles have already broken down by the time the protein is absorbed.

After a strength training workout my body needs about 35 grams of carbs and 55 grams of protein...not exactly the ratio of chocolate milk: 30 grams carbs, 8 grams protein.
  • menjivas
    menjivas Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am training for a ten miler and a half, so chocolate milk will recovery (and treat :) ) after my long runs!