Not Letting Leg Cast Stop Me from Water Aerobics!

Options
Loridori4
Loridori4 Posts: 7 Member
edited July 2018 in Challenges
I have really bad bone spurs under left heel, and plantar fasciitis for three years now. Squishy Skechers shoes and that Gazelle fitness thing contributed to the issues and I walk with a limp for past 3 years.
After therapy, shots, and custom orthotics not helping any, my ortho surgeon decided to cast my leg for 4 weeks.
That would be fine if I was still a couch potato, but I’ve dropped 20 pounds in the past year and joined the gym about two months ago. My favorite thing is the advanced Water aerobics class and I’ve been going 5 days a week religiously.
Doc recommended a rubber boot thing for showering but said “no” to water aerobics!
Not sure why. So I skipped for week and a half and tried to do upper body on gym equipment, but sweating and heating up with a cast on is miserable!
So, I decided to ignore doc, put my rubber cover on my cast and go back to the water!
I went Thursday and Friday. Cast stays dry and I can modify exercises for my issue.
I have come this far and refuse to let this stupid cast undermine me!
I have 35 pounds to go for goal weight.
Not sure if the “Challenge” section is right for this post, but my situation is certainly challenging at the moment!

Replies

• neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Water aerobics and very slow walking is what I can do at this stage: 152 kg, 335 pounds. Water aerobics is amazing: no pain in the joints and the gym coach makes sure that we don't just "float around". I don't fit onto / into most gym machines, so for the time being I am very happy in the pool; lost a bit of weight so far, nearly lost my swimming pants in the pool recently. We all thought it was hilarious.
  • mrsqueen123
    mrsqueen123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Love my water aerobics classes!! Been doing this for 1 year and even though haven’t really lost any weight (no major nutrition changes) I feel better, legs/knees are less painful, and I am exercising for 60 minutes rather than giving up after 10 minutes at the gym. Have finally decided to add a nutrition plan so things should be changing soon. Keep going—-just don’t lose your suit in the water!!!