Lots to lose and too many excuses.

Options
andreadods
andreadods Posts: 37 Member
edited July 2018 in Introduce Yourself
Hi, not new but definitely looking for friends. I have met some really lovely people on here. But where are the mean people. Sometimes I need that. When you have probably 150lbs to lose then you are very talented at excuses.....

1. Long term health problems. It's not an excuse but I use it.
2. I have always been fat. Even as a child I had free reign to chocolate whenever I wanted and lived on fried foods. My doctors put me on a diet at 11 and my relationship with food has always been terrible.
3. Comfort eating.
4. It's too hot to cook.
5. Terrible night sleep so no gym.
6. Basically anything I can use.

Sometimes I think having that one person to say 'well why does' x' stop you going to the gym?

As much as supportive is fantastic I need a good kick sometimes.

Replies

• kismet610
    kismet610 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I get it. I comfort eat and yes, it's been too hot to cook. Generally come dinner time I am too tired to cook so I eat whatever. I try to have food prepared and in the fridge waiting for me as well as lots of fruit. I have recently lost 20 pounds and looking forward to losing the next 10. I had a friend who had 150 pounds to lose. I didn't even recognize her after she lost it. It was amazing! When I asked her how she did it she told me every time she wanted to eat she would cry. I think she must have released a lot of grief and sadness with all that crying. I'm sure I'm not the first one to suggest this but breaking the weight loss down into smaller chunks makes it less intimidating and a lot more doable. Just focus on the first five pounds and give yourself a reward when you lose that. There's always an excuse not to do it but think how great you will look and feel when you do it! I'm looking for friends as well so count me in as one you can contact when you need a nudge, or a kick.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    The good news is that you don't need to go to the gym (although exercise is a good idea for other reasons), eat "clean", cut out foods/food groups, or starve yourself to lose weight. None of those things are necessary. All you need to do is take in less calories than you burn.

Here's a great thread to get you started - I think it's one of the best threads on all of MFP: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • GoalMaker82
    GoalMaker82 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Due to a lengthy history of back injuries, a variety of health issues, and meds that keep on the weight, I'm fat. I've lost 70 lbs in five years. Not really due to much effort on my part, but I'll take it. Recently got off of a med that prevents weight loss and almost off if another. Still morbidly obese. I make tons of excuses, too. I need to stop. I've been trying to eat natural foods for a month. I've been food journaling on and off for a month. Mostly I've done well, but I'm kind of lazy and have a hard time prepping food and learning SIMPLE recipes. Also difficult to get motivated to walk. Friends have said we'd work together since we all need to lose weight and eat healthier. I continue to be on my own, though. I welcome a good kick at times as well! =)
  • gradybunchmom
    gradybunchmom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I hear you with the excuses. Mine are, I will be strict about what I eat unless there is a special occasion, but then EVERYTHING turns into a special occasion, even just being able to go to the grocery store alone without my kids, I’ll grab Starbucks and a chocolate muffin! I don’t have trouble DOING I have trouble NOT doing. In other words, it is much easier for me to exercise and be active but very difficult for me to keep from drinking sweet tea and hitting the driving through for a burger. I could use accountability too and would love to hear what progress you are making by everyone giving you a kick in the rump.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    1. Long term health problems. It's not an excuse but I use it. all the more reason to move gently.
    2. I have always been fat. Even as a child I had free reign to chocolate whenever I wanted and lived on fried foods. My doctors put me on a diet at 11 and my relationship with food has always been terrible.don't let your history define you. you get to start a *new* history whenever you want. if you want change, make it now
    3. Comfort eating. food is fuel. food is not a solution to anything but hunger
    4. It's too hot to cook.do one big cook. i made four different things in 1 hour. meal prep also helps you stay on calorie track during the rest of the week
    5. Terrible night sleep so no gym.don't need a gym. i don't gym. i used to gym but i now go to a yoga studio and do the rest at home
    6. Basically anything I can use.make small sustainable changes. not whole hog all at once. start with logging every day. get a food scale. weight loss is not a straight line and being imperfect is perfectly ok. dust yourself off and start again

change is hard. old habits die with much protestation. do you want to stay the way you are now or be a better version of you? if nothing changes, nothing changes.

• lolly2414
    lolly2414 Posts: 186 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I totally understand you! I've been the queen of excuses off and on for years too! If you want a friend to help keep you on track, feel free to add me. I find that a lot of the other people here help motivate me to stay on track. :smile:

You've got this!
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    I woke up a month ago and asked myself "how did this happen?" Well, I know - comfort eating. I suffer from depression and take anti depressants which cause weight gain. then I have fibromyalgia, and it hurts too much to exercise. I'm bored, so I'll eat something. I'm bored, so lets go out to eat. I've had my excuses. A month ago, a health scare woke me up and caused me to say "Today is the day". So my husband and I decided to make a lifestyle change. I've lost 10 lbs in the last month and I feel really good. I get 30 minutes of walking in every day. And I religiously post my food diary, every day. It keeps me honest. I don't weigh myself every day.
    So you can do this!! Just commit yourself to eat healthy, and you will see the pounds drop off. Since you have a lot to lose have you considered gastric sleeve surgery? A friend of mine just had it and she is very happy with the results - and it gets you over those first 50 lbs that are the hardest to lose. She told me that she isn;t hungry and doesn't think about food all the time. And insurance will pay for it! But in any event, I would highly recommend that you make an appointment with a registered dietician who will help you make a meal plan. And maybe a therapist, to find out why you are comforting yourself with food. I've done both of these and found it very helpful.
    If you need a friend for support or to kick your butt a bit, I am your person. Right now I am talking myself out of doing my walk, but I know it is to my benefit to do it.